10lb 5oz Tench on the Pole

Joskin

Reaction score
I recently caught a 10lb 5oz Tench on the Pole and sent the picture and details in to the Angling Times to try to get a little publicity for our Club.
I knew that there had been alot of double figure Tench caught from our specimen pit so far this month by Carp anglers and so decided to try to catch one myself. I chose to use the Pole and fish in the margins as that is where experience on other waters tells me they are most likly to be at this time of year. I chose the pole as oppose to a waggler for its Superior presentation(my opinion).

The Picture appeared in on page 5 of todays AT and I was relativly pleased at what they had written and the publicity that it gave to our club. Unfortunatly I turned to page 8 only to find that Keith Arthur was having a pop at me and saying that it was "WRONG" to fish for double figure Tench on the Pole. He offered no real reason for his satatemant and appeared to even contradict himself by saying that he has had more than his fair share of 10lb plus Carp on the Pole.
I then turned to page 40 to find that the infamous Des Taylor had also commented on my capture and said that the pole only has a place for catching Roach and Crucians.

Do these Guys have nothing else to write about other than drivel and complete Bull.

If anyone has read the A.T this week please let me know your views.

For information I used a Milo 2060 Pole @ 9 Meters, size 10-16 Black Hydro elastic, 7lb main line to a 6lb hook length and size 14 barbless hook.

Smokedodger

Reaction score
Haven't read the AT but well caught mate as far as I'm concerned.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
Apart from being jealous of your capture i don't think there is anything wrong with catching tench on the pole as i do it myself. Biggest so far is 6lb 4oz on the pole. The pole i use is a Daiwa Fast Carpin' with Black Hydro-elastic. With this set up i have also managed to land carp to over 23lb no problem and the fish was undamaged and went back fighting.

Personally i would not worry about what others say against you because they are mostly just tossers who make a living trying to be controversial, you and i both know what a splendid effort you have made!!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I had a really good catch of winter tench on the pole in February of this year.

Fish to just above 5 lbs.

Nothing wrong with catching good hard fighting tench on the pole as far as I'm concerned. And in some instances the pole can give superior presentation and better control of a hooked fish. You can keep the tip of your pole right above the fish, thus conrolling them in weedy water better.

In fact I would say that many of the spezzy types should try the pole more often. The top match anglers who use the pole are no fools.

And double figure carp are caught on the pole all the time.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
First well done mate i am still waiting for a double figure Tench.
On the other point. If the outfit is balanced then there is no problem. Using tackle that is suitable for the task is the main priority whether it be rod or pole
I prefer the float myself but that's just because I don't get on with poles.

M

Mark Hodson

You did something different and that panic's people who are set in there ways and don't like to differ from the norm. They would of prefered it if you bivvied up for a week, loaded your swim with 15 gallons of very expensive casters, maggots, boilies and halibut pellets and caught it on carp gear instead. (not that theres anything wrong with that). If a couple of members of the Tenchfishers suddenly caught a handful of doubles on a pole then I sure Des and Keith would be the first to start waving 16mtrs of carbon at double figure Tinca's.
Infact for large tench in weedy swims I should imagine a carp pole is the ideal tool to excert pressure from directly above, thus getting the fish to the surface quickly and playing it over the weed instead of having to drag it through it as you would on conventional rod and line tactics. You carry on with doing something different mate and well done.

W

Wolfman Woody

I wouldn't mind a tench like on whatever tackle. Well done and congratulations Joskin.

But you know, envy is a funny thing. That little green monster raises its ugly head in soem people and then they start talking utter claptrap. Don't worry about it - tomorrow's chip papers.

Joskin

Reaction score
Cheers Guys you have all been saying what I have been thinking.

Never one to back down fromn a fight I have written back to Keith and A.T have told me that he will be writing back to me in next weeks issue. ( bet I get slaughtered )

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Congratulations mate, fine fish!

I don't think you will get slaughtered, you might get an appology, for a fine achievement! Your gear was right, you did your homework and knew the fish might be there! Fair play, you deserve the reward!
Jammy Git! haha, joking mate.

E

EC

Great fish mate, very well done!

Write in to AT and tell them (for a laugh)that a double figure barbel on the pole is your next target, and watch them insults fly!

A lot of my early fishing was done on weedy ponds, admittedly for much much smaller fish, but I lost far fewer tench using the pole than using rod and line!

Match anglers regularly tackle carp with the pole, so why not tench? Are they perceived as being 'better' in some way?

P

paul williams 2

Nice fish mate.....ignore those who hide behind an editor.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I suppose there's allways got to be one, and here I am.
I have allways believed that specimen fish should be fished for with specimen tackle, especially carp, which means rod and line.
I'm not putting you down Ross, I'm just a bit stuck in my ways I suppose.
I read the article in A.T and it seems you knew what you were doing, and used sensible equipment. Well done that is a super fish.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Away with you Baz lad!

You know what poles are capable of catching nowadays! (put in the right hands! Joskin)

G

Ged

The tackle, the rig and fish targeted was all right in my opinion. So where's the problem?
Well done Joskin.
If Keith Arthur or Des Taylor had done it first, they would have made loads of money out of putting the story into print.

alan strickland

Reaction score
Nice fish shame about the tackle,sorry i hold my hand`s up to being a paid up member of the "tench police"

i`ll get my coat

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Nice fish. Much of today's modern pole tackle is designed for good sized Carp on commercial fisheries, so why not fish for large Tench too?

I keep thinking about trying the pole for Barbel on my local river!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I've had Carp to just under 12lb on it in the past, in shallow water too (they run more) so I reckon I would be alright.

As you know Ron, the Barbel in the Don average between 4lb and 6lb so in deep pegs with little flow it might be the ideal method.

D

Danny Lancaster

First of all, Congratulations on your capture Joskin. I must admit to feeling a little envious of your achievement as a 10lb tench is one of the things on my "to do before I die" list, sort of speak.

Baz, your comment on "Specimen Tackle" has got me thinking a bit. What exactly is required for tackle to classed as Specimen tackle? From reading the above, Joskin seemed to be using a well balanced set-up designed for catching bigger specimens with the sole purpose of catching said tench. Wouldn't this be classed as a specimen fish set-up despite the fact it isn't rod and line?

Please dont take any offence Baz, Im not trying to "have a go" it just genuinely got me thinking.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I saw the article & Keith Arthurs comments.

Shame on you Joskin. On realising that you were attached to an extremely large tench by anyones standards you should have immediately shaken the fish off & reverted to catching bleak,skimmers & ruffe which was obviously what the pole was designed for.;-)

How long did it take you to get in by the way?

One other point.The AT is always full of stories about how some accidental big fish was landed on small hook & fine line with the implication that it was some sort of achievement.It is a little ripe for the columnists to criticise you for fishing, as Danny says, specifically for a big fish on what was balanced tackle simply because you were using a pole.