what are squatts and pinkes?

fishface

Reaction score
havent been fishing that long and would like to know? are they a special type of maggot?

N

NottmDon

in laymans terms 'small maggots' pinkies are used a lot as an alternative bait on canals or as a change bait from bigger maggots. Squatts are really small although you can pick up a bonus fish on a hard winters day fishing them on a small hook, they are usually used as feed in balls of groundbaiit(squatts) as they are slower moving than the bigger pinkies or maggots.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Allright mate?
starting with a maggot, they are the biggest usually used in the summer months.

Next the pinkie, which is about half the size of the maggot, and is usually used for hookbait in the winter.

Finally squatts and feeders. they are both the same kind of maggot but about one eigth of an inch long and very thin.
They are ideal for feeding into your swim, hence their other name feeders, as they don't fill the fish up as quickly as the bigger maggots, they are well worth getting.
Also breem love them.
At times I will put either one or two on a size twenty hook, if things are hard.

Feeders or squatts are brilliant escape artists if they get the least bit damp, so be carefull. They will end up all over the place.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
By the way fishface, that's a good looking fish you are holding seeing as you haven't been at it for long. I can't quite make it out, is it a tench or chub, and what weight was it?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Squatts are the larvae of the house-fly; Pinkies, those of the greenbottle - Musca domestica and Leucilia serrata respectively, if you want to look them up.
Ordinary "Shop" maggots are from one of the blowflies called Calliphora erythrophthalmus - "the filth-carrier with red eyes"! Nice!!!

N

NottmDon

Also you can breed a supersoft skinned maggot called a Gozza, bigger than a normal maggot and bream and chub go mad for em! The Gozza fly lays its eggs on chicken at night and within a week or so you will have enough hookers that are far superior to anything you can buy. Place a chicken breast in a biscuit tin on top of some bran make a small hole in the lid, place it well away from your house (as it will sonn start to stink lol) and let nature take its course. Riddle off the grubs and keep em in a little damp bran with a tiny amount of sugar. Its a long time since I used Gozzas but I may well see if the Trent Barbel fancy them this coming season.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Out of the 3; maggot, pinkie and squatt, the pinkie is by far the livliest and are supreme escape artists.

It is a good tip to always keep pinkie in a bait box with a lid that has been cut-out to prevent them from making their escape up the side of the bait box (and even more so if they get damp)

Squatts are probably the least lively and for this reason make a good addition to groundbait - if you use squatts in the groundbait then the balls are likely to break up in mid air. Bream love squatts so make sure you have some in your groundbait.

I find that I have to pre-order both pinkie and squatts about 10 days ahead of when I need them these days, due mainly to the fact that most (of my local) tackle shops don't always ahve them in stock.

W

Wolfman Woody

"the pinkie is by far the livliest and are supreme escape artists"

Yeh, and never leave them in the fridge without a lid on. Quickest way of wasting a few quid that I know, other than backing a 3 legged horse.

fishface

Reaction score
thanx every one for the help! and baz the fish in the photo is a wild carp it weighed just under 4lbs! ive think iv got got a stroke of beginners luck permanently iv out fished my dad on nearly every occasion, iv had chubb to 2lb 14oz and tench to 3lb 2oz and the fish in my photo album so im not doing badly for 4 months fishing!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Brilliant going mate. And don't forget, if you need any more help we are allways willing to help you out on this site. No matter how simple a question you may think it is. We all had to ask and one time, and still do.

M

madpiker

well it`s good to see a young un,asking questions!good luck with your fishing fishface

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Correction:

if you use squatts in the groundbait then the balls are likely to break up in mid air

This should of course read that if you use PINKIE in your groundbait then the balls are likely to break up in mid air.

Doh!