Its time to stop

richiekelly

Reaction score
can we please get back to fishing on the forum as thats what its supposed to be about,forums will always loose members and no doubt some will be poorer for the loss of some members including this one but it will continue and recover there is a wealth of knowledge within the members of this forum and i am sure that will continue to be the case please lets get back to fishing.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Well said that man!!

..it certainly make a refreshing change!!

I'm definitely going out tomorrow...hope for a few roach but anything that swims will do...or nothing at all!
Looking forward to that first cuppa on the bank-and thats a fact!!

richiekelly

Reaction score
Well said that man!!

..it certainly make a refreshing change!!

I'm definitely going out tomorrow...hope for a few roach but anything that swims will do...or nothing at all!
Looking forward to that first cuppa on the bank-and thats a fact!!

nothing at all is usual for me hence my name.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I was supposed to be going tomorrow but I've only just got home after a few very long trying days so I'm cancelling and going Weds instead. I'll probably be chasing a zed at Bury Hill.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
And I'm off with Nigel C. tomorrow for an assault on the Mullet in Christchurch Harbour.

I'm in the mood for a succesful day but whatever the result, I feel an article coming on!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
That could be the kiss of death Neil.I have some pictures from last year to pad things out.

Did you get my e-mails?

Indeed, been busy blitzing bread. Smashed my flask, went for the back up only to remember I smashed that a month or so ago, I've just stripped the rucksack down to the bear bones and slotted in the stove, water, coffee etc....

...you will be carry my gear across the marsh, won't you? :wh

See you at 7:30am.

richiekelly

Reaction score
And I'm off with Nigel C. tomorrow for an assault on the Mullet in Christchurch Harbour.

I'm in the mood for a succesful day but whatever the result, I feel an article coming on!

they are without doubt the most infuriating fish i have ever tried to catch and one that still remains to be caught by me.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I recall,as a young chap of 12/15 years old(late 50's) watching the mullet holding station under the road bridge where you leave Christchurch going toward Boscombe(from memory!)but cannot remember the bridge name....and then trying to catch them with float tackle more to do with the Thames....boy,did I have a lot to learn in those days!!

ps One kind gentleman told me they were mullet-I thought they were chub!!

Oh,I nearly forgot...I had two smallish carp on anchored crust in 10' of water-couldn't reach them in any other way-and just watched for the take and then felt for movement by holding the line-done this before and it worked a treat!!

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
TeeCee,

If it was a single iron bridge then it was Tuckton Bridge but if a red brick or stone bridge (two bridges together) then Iford Bridges (old and new).

No word from our mulleteers; certainly a bit late in the season as it's getting cold for them though the odd one still around.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
TeeCee,

If it was a single iron bridge then it was Tuckton Bridge but if a red brick or stone bridge (two bridges together) then Iford Bridges (old and new).

No word from our mulleteers; certainly a bit late in the season as it's getting cold for them though the odd one still around.

Excellent day out. You're right Mark, a bit late, a bit cold, but mission accomplished. Full report to follow in a few days.

Spot the angler!

IMG_7427.jpg

Reaction score
Glad to hear you and Nigel had a good day out; I look forward to the write-up.

Staying firmly on the fishing topic (brilliant!),

I had Pikey Paul (Paul H) down this weekend from Derby,

We fished a weir swim on the Severn yesterday (one that is only available during the salmon close season) and had a great time for the first couple of hours (Paul had two barbel and a chub, I had four chub, a bream and a barbel) before one of the very strange upstream tides appeared and shut the river down for the last few hours.

It's a very peculiar thing when you're on a non-tidal stretch and 8 inch waves suddenly surge upstream...

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
That's Nigel in my photo, he's nodded off while sat on his chair.
Are you serious? He's sat on a chair?

Weird!!!

Thoughts go back to Ireland last year when right in the middle of Lough Ree, over a mile to either shore, we ran aground and Jimmy had to get out of the boat to push us off. I was immagining him then letting go of the boat and being stuck there up to his rowlocks in water a mile from any coastline. :D :D

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Are you serious? He's sat on a chair?

Weird!!!

Thoughts go back to Ireland last year when right in the middle of Lough Ree, over a mile to either shore, we ran aground and Jimmy had to get out of the boat to push us off. I was immagining him then letting go of the boat and being stuck there up to his rowlocks in water a mile from any coastline. :D :D

No! we were wading out to get a little nearer the channel where most of the mullet are. Not for the faint hearted or indeed those without local knowledge. That part of the harbour is made up of lots of shallow mud flats, bays and inlets. Usually a slight covering of mud over good hard gravel.

We were wading upstream about 100 yards or so and then about 20 yards out. Most of the area behind Nigel is exposed mud at low tide. Just need to be aware of what's going on, retreat back and back as the tide comes in. Comical looks and comments from passing boaters! Interesting and different fishing.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Noted as a shipping hazard by the rowing and sailing clubs! I prefer staying on dry land, plenty of spots elsewhere with mullet, especially the really big ones.