line disposal

S

si

can anyone help me with getting rid of old line .ime talking about the small bits like when you shorten pole rigs or shorten hooklenghts those small bits of line up to now get stuffed into the front pocket of my bag but sometimes when i go back into the bag for something the small peices of line can fall back out i need something to trap the pieces of line until i get home to burn them maybe a container or box or something any suggestions??

S

si

oh and a big cheers for makins for putting bins on site this year!!

S

si

cracking idea alan simple ones are aways the best thats that sorted cheers dude

W

Wolfman Woody

There was a kind of box that you could buy with brushes at the top, you put things like line and hooks in it and the brushes stopped them from coming out. Maybe soemone can remember it or perhaps it was another idea that died a death.

I wouldn't condemn anyone for cutting small portions of fine line into 1-2cm lengths. It won't do nature any harm and being fine it will soon rot away. Better if you can find another solution though.

T

The Monk

do monofiliments and modern lines actually break down Jeff

W

Wolfman Woody

Everything does, given time. I'm talking about small tags once you've tied the hook. If it's only 2" it's not going to amount to much at all and once trodden into mud and with constant walking on it I can't see it doing that much harm.

However, like I said, "Better if you can find another solution though."

T

The Monk

Yes I know that, Plutonium breaks down eventually, but it takes about 25,000 years, no I mean does it break down in a reasonable time scale, like while humans are still roaming the planet? haha

No I think the only thing is to melt it, I used to use a lighter on the bank

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

thats nice till a blob drops on your hand ....and sticks!

M

Mr. Uncredible

I drop all my discarded line into a bag if I've got one in my box (if not drop it into the base of my seatbox until i get home). Then at home always burn it, gone and out of the way then.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

With long lengths of line I always wind it around three fingers and then cut it through with scissors which leaves me with a bunch of 5 or 6 inch lengths that are then cut shorter and put in a plasic bag. When I get home I put it in the recycle bin.
I try never to leave line on the bank, not even 1 or 2 inch pieces.

T

The Monk

thats nice till a blob drops on your hand ....and sticks!

No Eddie, you dont burn it over your hand mate haha

I think the thing with mono is that you must melt it, if you just bin it it will only finish up on the tip and create problems there with the wildlife, you`ve seen the gulls and crows scavenging on tips of course

Clikfire

Reaction score
A few less rats and gulls on the countries tips would be really missed!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I'm with jeff on this.

I do not see the harm in cutting it into very short lengths for disposal especially if you have taken it home & are putting into the bin.

The difficluty for wild life is getting entangled in the line & this cannot happen if you cut it up.Indeed I read somewhere that it makes a an ideal nest building material!

I suspect burning it does have some environmental impact in terms of release of gases although obviously very limited.

I remember the little gadget Jeff describes.Never seen it for sale anywhere or promoted.Shame as it was a good idea.Got to make space for the latest must have line or boily I presume.

W

Wolfman Woody

Monk, I can't say what the rot-down time for monofilaments is and would think a lot has to do with the thickness anyway, probably around 2-3 years for fine lines though. The scourge of this country is disposable nappies that take upto 20 years to rot and they're filling our voids quicker than any other type of waste.

The line types I'm speaking of are only up to .12mm, .15mm at the most. The trouble with these if left in a length of 2" or slightly more, is when you put them in your bag. They get caught up in your towel or catapult and next time you take it out the line is released anyway and at 2+" it can cause birds a problem. Be honest, do you check when you get home that all the little bits of line are accounted for? As for burning it - no way, Pedro!!!

Like you say Nigel, that little gismo probably didn't take off because it would never improve the match catch or help land a 30lb carp.

Here's a test: if one swim was occupied every day of the year (365 or 275 days if it's a river) and evey angler chopped up 2" of fine line that would amount to about 20 yards of line. Wrap 20 yards of .12 line around you fingers and then cut it into 1.5 cm lengths and count them all. Take them into your garden and release them all around you. Then take a magnifying glass and see how many you can retrieve immediately and after a year see if any more turn up and a further year later do a final tally on how many pieces of line (and dead birds) you find. Then come back to this thread and let us know.

Wind you up? Would I?

S

Steve King

I agree that cutting line into 2" or less lengths should be harmless.

A mate of mine carries a small plastic pill bottle - he has attached a piece of dowel to the lid. The dowel is covered with bit of gaffer tape - sticky side out. A handy bit of kit.

T

The Monk

The difficluty for wild life is getting entangled in the line & this cannot happen if you cut it up.Indeed I read somewhere that it makes a an ideal nest building material!

Birds do use it for nest material, but there are far better natural material for building nests of course and birds were building nests long before the development of monofilament

I suspect burning it does have some environmental impact in terms of release of gases although obviously very limited.

Yes burning will have some environmental impact, but I would suggest it is very difficult to measure and will ameliorate into the atmosphere very rapidly and nothing of course in comparison to the car emittents we used to drive to the lake

Monk, I can't say what the rot-down time for monofilaments is and would think a lot has to do with the thickness anyway, probably around 2-3 years for fine lines though. The scourge of this country is disposable nappies that take upto 20 years to rot and they're filling our voids quicker than any other type of waste.

Thickness, yes, its the amount of material of course Jeff and yes nappies are a real problem,

Here's a test: if one swim was occupied every day of the year (365 or 275 days if it's a river) and evey angler chopped up 2" of fine line that would amount to about 20 yards of line. Wrap 20 yards of .12 line around you fingers and then cut it into 1.5 cm lengths and count them all. Take them into your garden and release them all around you. Then take a magnifying glass and see how many you can retrieve immediately and after a year see if any more turn up and a further year later do a final tally on how many pieces of line (and dead birds) you find. Then come back to this thread and let us know.

sounds reasonable, but who said anything about birds being effected by cut up monofilament??

I just prefer to burn it.

W

Wolfman Woody

Fair go Monk, but I don't like matches or lighters being taken fishing, even my stove has piezo ignition now. It's too tempting for people to start fires during very dry periods and it's not as precise as a pair of scissors.

M

Mr. Uncredible

good points from Monk and Woody - in a nutshelld whatever you do be responsible!

Good children!!