Beginner in Milton Keynes

A

Andy Whapham

Hi all,

Where to start!! well, i'm going to take up angling and attempting my first session Tuesday on the Grand Union canal North Milton Keynes, I'm taking my two boys for their first time too.

I have got hold of a cheap 12ft Carp rod, purchased from a company sale (not by me) and a Leeda Merit 30 reel.

I would very much appreciate advice on kit to buy, techniques etc (So Dad doesn't look a complete muppet!!)

We are all three very eager and looking forward to our day out.... even though we are about 3 mins walk from the canal itself!! (Great if it rains!!)

Anyway, look forward to joining in with the forums

Regards

Andy

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Andy,
have you any other tackle appart from the carp rod? It may not be the easiest dicipline of the sport to begin with.
You can buy a couple of short whips, (smallpoles) for about twenty quid, which could give the lads a better chance of catching on their first session.
What tackle have you got exactly? And we can all try to help you from there.

A

Andy Whapham

Hi Baz,

I bought the boys 2 5ft spinning rods from the "Excess" shop when i lived in poole... Low quality.. only cost me ?3.95 each. Each has a small reel with it. All came with a hook, float and shot, in a blister pack, though to be on the safe side I'm going to bin the hook and shot.

So I need to get them hooks, floats etc etc

The carp rod is for me, to be honest not a rod i would have picked but the wife's ex picked it up cheap from an Argos staff sale, so I can't complain. Money is tight so I'm not in a position to be too choosy.

Cheers

Andy

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Right then Andy,
For yourself with the carp rod.Make sure you have some decent line on it, say 10lb maxima.

But then you would need for basics -: an unhooking mat, forceps, and a decent landing net. Plus E.A. licence, and maybe a licence from whoever owns that stretch of canal.

Have you got these?

A

Andy Whapham

Going tomorrow for the licence. I have a large carp landing net. (also from the wife's ex!!)

and the stretch of canal is open to all.

To be honest I'm not fussed at what kind o f fish i catch... Will that rod be ok for smaller species? Or should i still buy a lighter rod?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You could do with a lighter rod for the other species mate, such as roach, perch, breem etc.
at a pinch your lads can get away with useing their spinning rods for the roach etc. And use the rods for float fishing instead of actual spinning for pike, as this is what they were intended for. Until they get sorted out properly.

I'm sorry I'm not being very helpfull but I'm not sure on what you have got already exactly.
How wide is this stretch of canal? and are there any bushes/trees on the opposite bank?

To start you off, get out there and pre-bait with some sweet corn in a couple of spots for the next few nights. But don't fish it yet. Start doing that as soon as possible.

A

Andy Whapham

its fine mate... all help is gratefully recieved!!

i guess its about 25 feet across.. not good with distance i'm afraid.... theres an over hanging weeping willow and not too weedy... we'll be next to a modern ish walk over bridge... reeds all around the side to fish...

as far as kit goes all i have is the carp rod, reel (no line on it) and the carp net... So i'm getting everything i need 2moro or saturday

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Right mate we have something to work on.
The distance acroos the cut is okay, so her eis a suggestion that should get you a few carp at this time of year.

10lb maxima on the reel, ask the shop to load it on for you if they will , and tell them you are a beginner and just starting up. (they will be keener for your future business)

All you need on the end of the line is a size 6 carp hook.
Next get a loaf of sliced bread, and tear 3-4 inch strips of crust from around the sides.
Bend the crust over and put your hook into it, making sure the point is showing.

No weights are needed. Dunk the baited hook into the water for added weight, and try to side flick it as tight a syou can against the far bank. If it gets anchored onto a twig, don't worry as a carp will pull it off no problem. The crust floats, and you will see a pair of lips come up for it. Wait till the carp has got a good hold and then strike. Try a few pieces of crust thrown across to the far bank (whithout a hook or line attatched ) freebait if you like, and watch to see if anything comes up for it,
Its a method that has caught me loads of carp.

And don't forget to keep the sweetcorn going in -in another spot for when you want to ledger for carp or float fish for the breem, possibly in the evening.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
have a look on the rigs page for a free running lead set up. You will find a link to it on the home page under one of the titles.

And come back if you want more help or advice, but come back anyway.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Andy you need to plumb the depth of the canal ( there is a thread on the site somewhere on how to do this) and set the float at the correct distance from the hook, most canals are betwwen 4 and 6 feet deep . Set the float with most of the shot locking the float (either side of it) and use small shot (8 ,10) down the line,with just 1/4 inch of float above water.For a hook try a side 20 or 18 and use squats or pinkies as bait( ask in your local tackle shop).

Loose feed 6 - 10 freebies every few minutes at first to get the fish into your swim., the boys should start to get bites,as the float goes under get the boys to gently strike.
If the bites stop try moving the float down the line as the fish may have come up in the water to you loose feed.

good luck

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Also talk to any other angler you see on the canal, most will be only too happy to give advise on bait , where to fish and when and also some will come to talk to you as you fish and again will readily help out

Andyw

Reaction score
Got a starter kit yesterday,

12' Carbon float rod, 5m pole, l/net and various bits and pieces.

got my licence online last night and took the lad this morning!!

Caught 1 roach!! But a great tiem had by us both.. look forward to going again!! 2moro!!

Shame i had to stop to come into work!!

Thanks all for your help!!

Got the roach on the Pole with some sweetcorn!! Hoorah for fishing!!

Andy