Rolling table

Robbie H

Reaction score
Hi all,
The novelty of hand rolling baits by the Mrs has worn off now, so have invested my ?10 in a rolling table. The only problem is the baits don't seem to want to roll properly.
I have added oil and up'd the egg numbers as advised, but they still don't want to roll into nice little balls.
Has anyone any tips in using such tables? I know its a basic bit of kit, but as always there must be a knack to it. cheers

W

William Spencer

try rubbing a little olive oil onto your table,if you're using a sausage gun make sure the nozzle is the same size as the table.if the bait rolls into eggs you need a smaller nozzle,if the bait rolls into barrels you need a larger nozzle.hope this is of some help

F

Frothey

make sure the mix is really stiff before you gun it (if using a gun). if its leaving any residue on the table its too wet.

Robbie H

Reaction score
Cheers for adivice guy's. Have been playing around with mix and have come to the conclusion that the propylene glycol & glycerine in the colour & flavour are the offending ingredients. Have replaced with powders and baits are rolling fine.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Robbie, what shape are the baits coming out? Are they like the dumbell shaped pellets? Are they nearly round but with bits missing? Tell us more.

It could also be that the sausage is the wrong diameter. Try using different size nozzles, especially the smaller size than the one you've been using. I've found that some mixes expand a little and won't roll.

Robbie H

Reaction score
Hi Matt, had both problems you mentioned- dumbell and nearly round but with hole in middle. From what i have gathered over the weekend, by changing various ingredients, i have to take some of the moisture out of the mix.
The glycol & glycerine made the mix too sticky- in a sugary way, if you understand.
I changed these to powders- angel delight for flavour and powder dye for colour. This has helped. I was also using 5 mls of almond oil which i have left out now. Again helps.
I don't use a gun either, which hasn't helped! But its all about learning, which i love (Mrs not so keen though, lol).
Best think about catching some fish soon!
Any other tips, if you got em Matt, would be appreciated.
cheers

Matt Brown

Reaction score
If you'd not rolled your own boilies before I reckon you'd be better buying a simple base mix and liquid combi such as Nutrabaits Trigga. That'll give you an idea of how a bait should roll and boil.

That'll help you when you make your own recipes.

This is a great site for learning about ingredients. fishforcarp.com