Why buy the 'best'

R

Ray Corcoran

With the onset of many new items of tackle (particularly reels and rods) can you justify paying a three-figure sum for a rod or a reel (or more likley a matching pair) when there are so many 'cheaper' alternative available which do the job equally well.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

You have raised an interesting point Ray.

When I buy rods and reels I generally buy the best I can afford. Not only that my tackle tends to last a long time.

I have some items of tackle - reels for example that have lasted me over 20 years but they were the very best of their kind at the time.

Take fly rods for example. I have owned rods by Sage purchased in 1990 and I would be using them today if they hadn't have been nicked. I did't replace them with Sage which cost upwards of ?600 in UK. I replaced them with Greys which are less than half the cost and in my opinion equal the Sage rods in all aspects.

My coarse rods tend to be Drennan and Harrison. Both top class makes yet by no means the most expensive. They are what I call true value for money. I also have a few rods by Daiwa for pike fishing in the Fens. Not expensive at all (?45) but perfectly adequate.

My Pole is a Daiwa Super Phantom which cost just short of ?400. No where near the most expensive but not the cheapest either.

I think to get performance and value for money you are looking at tackle in the mid price range. Keep clear of the cheap and nasties. The difference beween a good mid priced rod and ther top end of the market is so small that perhaps it does not warrent the money. Yet the difference between a cheap and nasty and a well chosen mid priced rod is striking.

It's the same with reels.

For fixed spool reels I tend to favour Shimano and Daiwa. They have never let me down.

R

Ray Corcoran

I agree with the mid-range theory. I have rods by Fox, Drennan, ABU and Wychwood. Fox make excellent gear some well priced others more expensive.

My reels are Okuma (excellent), Daiwa (superb), Wychwood (unbelievable value), Swallow (centrepin (utstanding)and Shimano (not too keen). Cost is important and you don't have to go the top of the market price-wise to get an excellent product. It's a cut-throat market out there.

matt stewart 2

Reaction score
Ye hi i am only young and new to the sport but i agree with you that for me my budget is limited I found out the hard way about the chaep and nasty tackle.

J

jason fisher

some cheep companies do decent tackle, others are absolutely awful.
reputable dealers tend to be a bit more expensive but the standard of their tackle is usually slightly better.

for example some ron thompson stuff is dodgy but other bits are actually very good and it's invariably cheep, the thing to do here is check the tackle reviews and see which bits get raved about, these are the decent ones.

with the more established companies their mid range stuff is usually the best value for money, quite capable without being grossly over priced.

E

EC

Matt, we've all been there mate but I would say that there has never been a better time to buy budget fishing tackle than now!

R

Ray Corcoran

You're right there, Eddie it is. The choice is tremendous but must also be confusing for beginners/youngsters/parents buying for kids. Some tackle shops are great for giving advice whilst others will sell you the most expensive item that they can off-load on to you.

It's sites like these that can help.

E

EC

Yes, user reviews are excellent!

Did anyone ever write a review for a mag that said a particluar piece of gear was rubbish? I dont recall ever seeing one!
If something is no good, people who have paid for it will have no problems in saying so!

R

Ray Corcoran

Eddie I haven't seen one either although I have read some that had reservations. These usually revolve around cost or suitability for specific purposes e.g "might be a little lightweight for big barbel but is all right for smaller fish". What the hell does that mean? It's not up to scratch that's what it means!