Koi Rearer Pellets>

C

Craig w

I got some of those koi rearer pellets from my local aquatic place, they are the same ones that dynamite baits are selling as "swim stim pellets", has anyone tried these?
any good results?

D

Dave Hellard

I have used the "swim stim" pellets. I think they are very good!!! they melt down in the water giving off a green cloud! which in turn is meant to trigger the fish into feeding as green is mean to be a natural colour for fish to feed off therefore it makes them more confident!

R

Rob Brownfield

You will find that many of the carp/koi reare pellets that can be bought in bilk from garden centres/aquarium shops will all catch fish...and in some cases...catch them very well!!.

Avoid the ones with Colour enhavcer added as they are a bit more expensive and dont do much fro a muddy brown carp anyway...lol..but the ones that have appitite stimulants in are great. I saw bulk 5kg sacks of sinking Koi pellets for ?3.99 in a garden centre in Suffolk. The ones my father uses for his Koi are brillient. They are only about 3mm in diameter, and I fish them in a pva bag with a mix of trout pellets and boillies through them. They work wonders!

J

Jon Moores

I recently bought some floating koi pellets and these have been received well by the carp. Being so small if you can get a dense patch the carp just swim along with their mouths out of the water hoovering them up

R

Rob Brownfield

Jon, I have found the same thing. I struggled at firsd coz I could not attatch a hook..but resolved it by fishing a lump of bread in the middle....the carp dont mind at all :eek:) Kryston Bogie is good too...but a bit heavy...so I smear a bit of cork in it the dunk it in the pellets.

J

Jon Moores

Rob

I've not yet tried them on anywhere where the fish are really suss. So far I've just put a mixer hookbait amongst them and they have sucked it in with the pellets. I intend to tie up some cork or ethafoam 'imitations' for when they are a bit more difficult. They should get fish feeding well even on waters that have been hammered on mixer, in the same way floating casters can.

R

Rob Brownfield

Jon. I had great success with floating casters...but for Chub!

If you buy one of the aquarium mags on Koi, you will see there are hundreds of different pellets available, from a few mm's to about an inch in diameter...all a damn sight cheaper than from the bait companies!!

R

ray bewick

Anyone catching using floating flies e.g deer hair pellet types on stepped-up fly fishing gear?.

R

Rob Brownfield

Ray. I had several fish last week using a size 10 hook with a dubbed fluffy green seal fur dressing on it. I originally had a wee loop tied into it for attaching a hair too. The idea was to grease up the "fly" and fish two mixers off of the hair. In the end I did not bother with the mixers and had several doubles on my "Floating weed" fly. I have also taken carp on a deer haired "Pellet" when feeding floating trout pellets. The only reason I have not used fly gear is because i tend to fish in reed beds or up trees, poking the rod tip through undergrowth etc.
As for fly fishing for them...I would use an 8 weight rod. That should have the back bone for fish up to high doubles.

C

Craig w

I have a question!

Do you 'fly action cast' the fur/feather out using the fly rod as it was built or do you use a fixed spool on the Fly rod?
I just wondered as the fish in my local water would bugger right off if i was to 'fly cast' to them, Even a wood pigeon flying low across the water is enough to send them off the top sometimes.

But im interested in this method though, can you tell me more!

R

ray bewick

Craig
the waters i was initially thinking of are well stocked; some might be consider 'puddle'type waters i/e dug within last 10 to 15 yrs & heavily stocked & pressured. I usually fish them after a particularly hard session on a difficult water, to restore my self confidence really. To allow myself some degree of self indulgent difficulty I will only surface fish for these fish.These fish are always right in the margins and stalking tactics needed multiple catches if fish in the 5 to 13lb are common on floaters if you approach it correctly. Again to increase my self indulgent difficulty I want to use a 'fly'.

My thoughts were to loose feed mixers,pellets,floating koi pellets whatever until pre-occupation / confident feeding was approached & then to flick out "bow & arrow cast" a spun deer hair fly al la trout pellet.

Now after Robs comment I wonder if a true fly orientated approach might work i.e a hare's ear well picked out guard hairs ginked up simulating a hatching sedge?, yep! grasping at straws but what are carp taking naturally speaking when 'clooping'?.

I see no reason not to actually cast for fish especially on larger waters but most semi local coarse waters that i'am considering do not allow for arialising 10 + yds of line to enable 'shooting' line, & as mentioned on a fly thread on FM the fly line would need to be dyed & the leader be of suitable strength & type.

I also have some concerns over; the playing / netting time, the chance of mouth damage via lost fish, recovery time etc. I would abandon this idea if anyone has any valid objections.

C

Craig w

Sounds like an excellent idea, the fight will be good on the right fly gear as well.
I have a good fly rod so i will have to get it set up for a try.

one thing i have seen the fish mouthing at are the little fluffy white bits that float around in the autumn (the ones like big dandilion seeds, dont know what they are though) A pattern like that would be possible to make with fur and feather, and what about tadpole patterns for the spring, ive seen the carp sucking them from the sides of the swims!

R

Rob Brownfield

The yanks regularly fish for Carp on the fly. My mate Richard Walker..(No...not THE R. Walker...but a character none the less) was catching Carp using a mayfly nymph on a well known Trout reservoir down near Bristol. He was sight casting to cruising fish and then tweaking the nymph as it sank. Another place i have seen carp caught on the fly was Holyfieds Trout Fishery (Now a carp lake) near Waltham Abbey. They would take white marabou flies left to sink amoungst feeding fish.

Carp will hit most flies really, even lures. I think I would base my attack on Sedges, Wulffs, and "pellet" flies on the top, and buzzers and large nymphs for sub surface.
As for the cast scaring carp...well...Its possible to kneel down back from the waters edge to cast. There is no need to trash around at the edge of the lake like a trout basher :eek:)

C

Craig w

Very interesting about the trout waters where carp take on the fly as a place near me call Stafford Moor Fisheries has now switched to Carp which i understand where in the water while the trout were there i will have to find out more!