Angling Terminology???

Andyw

Reaction score
Is there anywhere I can find a list of terminology??

i enjoy reading the posts but sometimes don't understand the wording used!!!

Thanks

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Give us some of the words you don't understand Andy.

I don't know of any book that covers angling terms but for sure there is a wealth of angling talent on this website that will help you.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Margin. That area round the edge of the pool.

Swivel. A small link where the two ends are able to move independantly of each other helping to avoid tangles and twist in the line.

On the drop. Where the hookbait lands on the water and fall through it to the bottom. Fish will sometimes feed off the bottom and intercept the bait as it is falling.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Margins:

The sides of a lake, river or canal next to the bank.

Swivel:

A device that you tie onto the line to prevent line twist or to join a hook length to a line. Also used to attach spinners or lures.

"On the Drop":

Where a fish takes your bait, fly or lure as it drops through the water after casting. This can mean on float or leger tackle or after you have cast a fly or lure.

F

Frothey

not a bad idea - an fm "glossary" section graham.....?? could link off to relevant articles from it as well.

W

Wolfman Woody

it just gets me when people talk about "dillyflobbing" and fishing the "Garpandle". I'd sooner be baggin on a shedful of lumps with me animal tamer.

F

Fred Bonney

"dillyflobbing" the knickname given to a a person fishing in Eros's fountain Piccadilly Circus,particularly on a saturday night or having just arrived in the back of a lorry..

"Garpandle" a typing error for the method of handling Barbel for photography, "Barpandle" this assists in removing the air known to accumalate in Barbel after a prolonged fight on light tackle,also known as "Andylittless"

F

Fred Bonney

Oh, and Andyw,a tip, don't ask anglers for credit,a loan,or to cash a cheque, as it only offends.
But if your lending or giving away,watch out for the rush.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Right you lot, I'll bet you don't know what a "Babbysed" is?

Or: "Flutherswopter Thanoes"?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

A Babbysed is Brummie for a lump of groudbait the size of a babies head.

A "Flutherswopter Thanoes" is what happens when you get your pole rig caught in a tree on the other side of the cut and you pull for a break. The elastic propels your pole float back and it embeds itself into some part of your anatomy.

"Thanoes" is Rotherham Speak which you use after every sentence you utter.

W

Wolfman Woody

Fred "Garpandling" isn't a typo. It's when your engrossed in a fight with a fish and you hold your mouth on't skunt. Tha's gorra garpandle on!

"Andylittless" - not "Andysmellysuit"? Funny how we've not heard from Andy for a while. He must be spending so much time trying to get the tench slime off them trousers. Not before time though eh? :eek:)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

It is not pronounced "Tha 'knows" Jeff, it is pronounced - "Tha noooes" with an emphasis on the E.

J

jason fisher

no you don't get the credit, you get the blame for starting this lot off.

C

Clive Evans 1

Jason. you're getting to be a grump. Get a day job mate.