groundbait

Rik Smith

Reaction score
O.K. So whats the best mix of groundbait for a lake full of bream and tench decent size. I need a groundbait that i can catty out 40-50 yards as i cant throw that far , so it has to be firm , but not concrete!! and i want to put hemp and corn and pellet in it. And i expect it to break up on the bottom today not tomorrow, probably use the same groundbait for feeder as well . cheers lads.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Rik,

Both tench and bream seem to appreciate sweeter flavors in groundbait so you can try this:
2 parts Expo + 1 part Secret (both from van den Eynde) Mix well and leave to stand for about 15 minutes before testing and possibly adding a little more water.

If big Bream are around then add one small bag of Brasem to the mix before the final damping but remember to riddle the mixture well.

I have used this recipe for a long time and it is my "banker" mix for both tench and bream. This mix is stiff enough to take a good quantity of loose feed like corn, caster and pellet.
It holds together well and will catapult your required distance, but the Secret will assist it breaking up well after about 10 minutes in the water, whilst the Brasem will give extra sweetness to the mix.

I hope this helps.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Expo is a terrific additive for tench.

They seem to love the red colour. Molasses is also a "must have" ingredient.

Mix in brown crumb, mashed bread, pellets, casters, chopped dendras, maggots and sweetcorn.

That's the mix I use down the fenland drains and it hasn't failed me yet.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
any of the above, with the addition of groats, especially for bream and tench.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Rik,

Ron's recipe is a great alternative if you don't want to spend out on the continental mixes.
However if you do get the v.d. Eynde, then don't be tempted to add any extra Molassess as both the Expo and the Secret are already quite sweet and the Brasem will more than complete the sweetness required.

D

Danny Lancaster

There are a number of various groundbaits available which attract Bream & Tench, as mentioned above Expo is excellent for tench, and the vde groundbaits (Superlake especially) goes well for both species. We could go on for ages about different "brands" so my only advise is to mix all of your groundbait the night before you go fishing,(add the particles on the bank when you get there though) so that the water has time to make the groundbait swell and absorb all the moisture. Then all you have to do, is a bit of "topping up" if required on the bank. I also always carry an atomiser from the garden centre to keep the groundbait moist.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
if i remember right,denis white used to swear by a 50/50 mix of vanden eyned beet and brown crumb.
the bream master himself,ivan marks used to use plain brown crumb i think with some sugar added???
i havent used beet for ages....do they still make it???

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nick,
Beet is still available but you need to find a well stocked tackle shop to find it.

It is a little too fine for my liking to be used on its own and I preferred to use it mixed with other groundbaits to create a bottom cloud. Although, mix in a little Brasem and you have a good feeder mix, just don't overwet it though.

Rik Smith

Reaction score
molasses , when you mix it with brown crumb and say expo and braseem , how much molasses would you use for a total dry weight of groundbait of about 6-7lbs. or is it just going to be a killer mixed with the ready mixed baits?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Rik,

Expo on its own is pretty sweet and Brasem is even more sweet than Expo, so, personally I'd be wary of adding any more sweeteners, and if I did I would measure the amount only against the weight of the brown curmb that you are using - but that is just my preferrence, I am sure others may have different opinions.

Rik Smith

Reaction score
what would be the likely effect if too sweet i;e to much molasses?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Rik,
When I started to use Sensas additional flavourings some time ago I found that if you over-do it then you get the opposite effect, i.e. you can actually turn the fish off or make them very wary.

Most of all today's modern flavours; be they for carp, tench or bream, have a recommended dose on the labels which is based on a lot of research, so I wouldn't be too keen to exceed any one particular flavour.

Ihope this helps.

W

Wolfman Woody

I like Bream 3000 50/50 with brown crumb. Add a few casters to it or make up a maggot sandwich in an open feeder.

The molasses that you can buy in horse feed shops (about ?4 for 5 litres) isn't all that sweet, it just smells great. I wouldn't be afraid of using it.

Rik Smith

Reaction score
thanks for the info pete , i was wondering whether i had overdone it or not, desperation calls for desperate measures .i think i put a bit of everything in the groundbait to try and pull anything in !! braseem ,mussel groundbait ,hemp, corn, casters expo , some foreign tench groundbait , had a bloody buffet them fish too much to eat my humble hook bait though!!!! still experiments can turn out to be winners sometimes.
Oh yeh WOODY it is the horse molaases i've got ?4 a gallon. and what sort of spread should i use in the maggot sandwich .LOW FAT OR BUTTER. LOL