Fishing in Somerset

J

jon helyer

Carp to 35lb eh? I ought to inform readers that if you want a 35lb carp, Somerset is not really the place to go! Carp over 30lb, while a daily event in some other parts of the country, can be counted per season in Somerset on less than the fingers of one hand!

The standard of fishing is good in Somerset, but it's a long way from the exceptional fishing in some other parts of the country........

M

madpiker

a couple of "commercials"now have carp over 35lbs jon.i totally agree with you that they are extremely rare in most waters though.it`s a sad fact of life that some anglers regard carp that don`t weigh 30 plus,as not really worth catching.personally,i`d rather catch a "wild" double or low 20 from the levels in somerset,than sit amongst a crowd of tackle tarts on a pond with stocked 30s

F

Frothey

they might've been "stocked" at 35lb, but how big are they now?

why is it fish in the south west just dont get as big as in other areas? its got a better climate than most regions....water quality? lack of bait going in? too many of the lakes "commercial? even the drains seem to have a relatively low "ceiling" on fish weights.

M

madpiker

good question frothey,i wish that i knew the answer!a good example is the size of pike in the fen drains and somerset,every year we see plenty of 20lb pike and a few 30`s reported from the fens,yet in somerset,a low 20 is an exceptional fish.to my knowledge,since 1994,there has only been one fully authenticated 30 caught from the levels(a fish that i was lucky\jammy enough to catch 3 weeks before at 28.5lbs)that was back in 1994.there have been a few rumours regarding big 20s and even a 30 or two,but we never get to see the photos!2lb roach,double figure tench,6lb plus chub are all as rare as rocking horse dung in somerset,it baffles me why.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Madpiker it is a very good question!

I've had some experience on the Huntspill and Sedge, both waters are large enough to support specimen sized fish.

I know the bream go double figure, if your lucky enough to catch one. Also I've been told of large carp, by our standards, and odd large pike. But other large species; roach, perch and so on, are very rare!

Could it be a lack of natural food? Or if it was due to predators, they themselves would be large?

It's very strange, as said the climate is right, so what is wrong?

F

Frothey

hmmmmm, bream do seem to do well....its the other species that dont. in waters with double figure bream, youd at least expect 30+ carp, big tench and roach etc, but it just doesnt seem to happen.

carpwise in the commercials, its simply a case of too many fish, not enough bait, but on the drains/ressies that doesnt apply. maybe water quality then?

JC

Reaction score
I'm not totally convinced about water quality being the answer. True, many of the waters to the north of the Poldens, particularly the Brue and Axe, are known to contain higher than average levels of heavy metals, such as lead, cadmium and copper, as this occurs naturally in the Mendip hills (roman lead/copper mines aplenty up there) but as far as the waters in the Parrett catchment go (KSD, Tone etc.) this does not apply.

Cheddar reservoir, if it was in Essex/Kent would be a mecca for Tench anglers far and wide, as it should contain numbers of specimen Tincas, instead of the head of 5/6lb fish that exist there, as it is big, crystal clear and full of weed.

In the case of the rivers and drains, my own personal feeling is that high water levels in autumn/winter that persist for weeks stop a lot of feeding activity, coupled with the fact that there is such a huge amount of water to go at that only a fraction of it is ever fished regularly goes some way to explaining the lack of true specimens, after all, if you took all the water in, say, the Huntspill or Kings sedgemoor drain, you'd have one hell of a big lake!!

Increased predation by cormorants and, more recently, otters could hold another clue, but the fact that the huge bream shoals that made the Huntspill famous are a thing of the past suggests that there is something that we are not picking up that causes this, but I for one am at a loss to figure it out! I have always been baffled by the fact that the Huntspill produces very few pike of any note, despite the fact that all the waters connected to it are decent predator waters, anyone got any thoughts on that one guys?

JC

J

jon helyer

Jon

Give me a ring mate, when you can....

One fact that I have is that other areas of the country are situated geologically on better rock, for example Chalk and Limestone. This gives dissolved calcium carbonate, which means the shrimp populations explode, leading to bigger fish. Alkaline waters like this are richer and more fertile. In Somerset me have marl, which I think is a type of clay....

Not the only reason though, surely?

M

madpiker

they also run through peat,,which i believe is acidic?

M

madpiker

i thought that it might be the prolonged floods,but then again,don`t the fens etc suffer from the same thing?and the river wye,a spate river,but look at the big pike etc it produces.plus the hampshire avon.

JC

Reaction score
The levels run primarily through peat, which as you rightly point out Pete is indeed acidic, marl is only found along the coast, roughly following the line of the M5 and railway line. The cut-off point is actually almost exactly at Gold corner pumping station!! The Huntspill and Cripps are the only waters I know of that run almost exclusively through clay soil, the fact the Huntspill is a different colour to all the others is a giveaway on that score.

I'm not buying the theory about the Ph level being the cause, after all the Fens are very similar in character in terms of peaty soil, and the Norfolk broads are almost all situated in peat yet no-one could argue with the track record there.

Pete,the Wye and Avon are indeed spate rivers, that drop almost as quickly as they rise, which as we know ain't the case here, due to the peat soil holding a hell of a lot of water and discharging it over an extended period, meaning the rivers here stay flooded and coloured for longer than the afore-mentioned rivers.

Jon, the Axe gets the majority of it's water from the Mendips, which are almost exclusively limestone which should raise the Ph into the alkaline range (7+) yet the Axe is in the same boat as all the other waters round here..........

Any more theories? I have been fascinated by this for years and would love to hear the thoughts of any of you with more knowledge of such matters than an amateur like me........:-/

M

madpiker

yeah but,no but,perhaps it`s a mixture of all the things we`ve said!!!

JC

Reaction score
Maybe it's the aliens, Ba***rds!!

or people from North Curry,

or the lay lines aren't coinciding at the right places,

or the earth's magnetic field is unusually strong in Somerset, which causes all manner of strange abnormalities in the population

(or is that the interbreeding!!)

:)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
(or is that the interbreeding!!)

haha, maybe all the big ones are being eaten by the freaks! "Deliverence" what a classic! Jon, how local are you to the Somerset villages?

JC

Reaction score
Mr Biscuit (seem to have forgotten your real name.....) If you mean Mark, Wedmore, Bason Bridge, Burtle etc then very local. I live right on the edge of Burnham On Sea and they are all within 10 mins of me. Why do you ask?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I am facinated (can't spell) by your long head and one arm (inter-breeding) 6lb 12oz tench! (steve) haha.
Sorry mate, joking!

JC

Reaction score
long head and one arm? You mean there's something wrong with that?? Let me tell you that round these yer parts I'm considered to be one of the lucky ones.......and I'm gonna get a bigger Tench in a few hours time.....:)

J

jon helyer

Thought that was North Petherton, at least that's what it says on the sign.........

I still think that the alkalinity has something to do with it, I don't think its the topsoil, ie peat or clay, unless that's present in a very thick layer, but the rock underneath....

Let's take Kent, virtually all of Kent is over chalk, or the best form of calcium carbonate.This produces waters with a ph of between 7.5 and 9.0, which gives rise to rich waters, and we all know what Kent is capable of when it comes to big fish...

Likewise the Fens and Norfolk, the soil might be peat (acidic) but the rock in the Fens is apparently limestone, and Norfolk has a lot of chalk, the Wensum is I believe a chalkstream in its upper reaches....

If anyone has the late Len Head's Tench book there is a chapter where a friend of his attempts to explain what makes a good tench fishery. He actually superimposed a map of all the good tench waters over a geological map and what did he find? All the tench fishing of note was located in areas with Limestone drainage.....

So that's one reason why Somerset ain't so good folks....

Nutrient run off from agriculture or sewage effulent enriching waters is said to be another factor......