Live Baits in a sport store

Fly Fisher

Reaction score
i went into my local decathlon in romford the other day and i was shocked to see that they have a fridge and are selling live baits now. From what i have seen in this store it looks pretty good...for a sportstore.
I just wonder though is this gonna catch on though and would you the people buy ur live baits and fishing equipment from a sport store?
or should i go elsewhere?

M

madpiker

tackle shops often advertise ragworm,lugworm,lobworms and maggots etc as livebaits.i would very much doubt that they are selling live fish,as it is illegal to translocate fish, or use them as bait on a different water from which they came without a health check and section 30 certificate.even then,you have to tell them the water and date that you intend to use the fish.

Fly Fisher

Reaction score
i didn't say anything about fish?!?!?! just live baits...which reffers to maggots e.t.c

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

There was a time when most sports stores sold fishing tackle and bait especially in seaside towns but it wasn't only sports stores. One of best places I've ever known for tackle was the Army & Navy Store in Victoria (London) sadly, I believe, no longer in existence. They didn't sell live bait but they had a tackle department that would make most of today's large retailers seem small fry and service that was second to none. I used to buy most of my tackle there in the 60's and 70's.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure that I'd want to buy my bait from a Sports Shop as I'd have to wonder if they really knew how to keep decent bait fresh. Also, whenever I get my bait I usually end up getting other 'bits and pieces' for the day as well, so I'll stick to my local tackle shops.

Jeff's article a short time ago highlighted the need for anglers to support tackle shops, although it is encouraging for the sport of angling to see that other points of sale are sringing up.

M

madpiker

it was the way that you wrote it flyfisher,most of us just call maggots etc bait and refer to using live fish as livebaits

M

madpiker

chubber,i remember when our two local sports shops sold bait and tackle .then two fishing only tackle shops opened up and the sports shops closed their tackle depts.
as for choosing between sports stores and tackle shops,whichever sells the best bait and tackle would be my choice

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Interesting eitorial by Stu Dexter in this months Coarse Fisherman on this very subject.

Its common practice on the contitnet & in the US apparently.Decathalon is of course a French company.

Stu didnt name the company but it was clear from what he wrote that Walmart are considering introducing tackle & bait in their Asda stores to capture trade from anglers who already buy corn,meat etc there already.Walmart are seemingly one of the biggest tackle suppliers in the USA.

Stus closing point was that whilst they might be able to sell tackle much cheaper what would the quality be like & how would you get any proper advice.In addition it might be the final nail in the coffin for your already under pressure local tackle shop.

W

Wolfman Woody

It's ten years now since I approached Decathlon with some business suggestions - they fell flat, but hey-ho, that's another story. It was before they came over here, btw.

During the course of our discussions I went through their store at their headquarters in Villeneuve-d'Asq. It was huge, the size of about ten football pitches. There they had maggots in small plastic tubs (no need to take your own and why it hasn't caught on over here like it has with worms I'll never know!) in fridges.

I thought to myself, I'll bet their right rancid, manky maggots, but no! They were super bait that I'd be pleased to use anytime, black spots were full indicating they were really fresh and no smell whatsoever other than being fresh. Packed in a little fine sawdust, but that's the way the Frenchies like 'em i guess.

A bloody good idea!!! Come on Asda, wake up!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone who has been in a Walmart will know that their range of tackle is not only very limited, but usually aimed at the very cheap end of the market.

It is the sort of 'tackle' that people going on a picnic, and who haven't fished much might buy on impulse.

I have bought maggot from French stores before and Jeff is right about the fine sawdust - and it is an awful job to get them properly clean either for flavoring or for use with StickyMag.

Maybe I am too old fashioned but there is a certain pleasure to be gained from an hour or so spent in my local tackle shop, and yes, I always get offered a decent cup of tea or coffee.

Fly Fisher

Reaction score
so have many people been to decathlon and brought products...if so would you recomend them to me?