Dawn Or Dusk?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dawn or Dusk

It has been a long time since I went fishing in the early morning. Early for me was 5.a.m (or is that p.m) 
Anyhow the mist was rolling over the water with the odd coot calling to her chicks, as I set my rod up, a marvellous time of day. I couldn?t get the spot I wanted, so I had to make do with what was available. The first rod was cast to the side of an island where I had caught bream from in the past, and I wanted to know if they were still there.
The second rod was cast further out to a sandbar, where I knew there was a good chance of a tench. Both rods produced the species I was after, the first to go off was the bream rod, with barely more than a skimmer of 1.5 lb. Never mind, they were still there and that is all I wanted to know. I had just put the skimmer back when the other rod went off, and this was fighting a lot better, I knew it was a good tench. Just over 5lb, which isn?t bad considering that the best are around 7-8 lb.

The sun was up and hot at 6.am and that put a stop to the mornings sport. Other anglers who were on the lake were mostly bivvied up and fast asleep, what a waste, they had missed the best part of the day. I think I will make a few night sessions, so that I can get the really early mornings in. It really is the best part of the day. Even better than evening sessions, but what do you prefer?
Really early morning, or evening.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Early mornings have to be best!
When you hear the "dawn chorus" of the birds it makes you appreciate life. I always think to myself, how many people are missing out on this? It is beautiful, but they don't know, because they are tucked up in bed!

If it's tench, then it has to be early, seeing that fizz around your float ( wag or pole!)when the mist and light allow, is magical.

Dog Biscuit ;)

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was flat calm Steve, and I could see a cluster of pin sized bubbles about 30 yds out,
and nothing to disturb them it was an amazing site. I'd forgotten how good the feeling was.
And then they start to move closer to your baited area, pure magic.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
And as the bubbles get closer your heart starts pounding, they surround your float, then nothing, haha.
It's not the same in the evening, when the light starts fadeing, it doesn't give the same feeling of being there, when the world wakes up.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Summer or Winter with those first glimmers of light and the sometimes almost deafening sound of the dawn chorus it has to be the most magical part of the day.

J

jason fisher

dusk because i'm an idle git and can't be bothered to get up early, i also don't have problems staying up late, though it is nice to watch the sun rise before you go to bed.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Baz,

For simple asthetics then the dawn takes a lot of beating, and my best Tench catches have been made at dawn.

These days I prefer to have the bivvy set up so that I can fish from the last few hours before darkness, then get a few hours sleep and then fish the more active dawn time.

As Frank says, the dawn chorus at any time is truly lovely.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That is exactly what my plan is Peter.
When I went early at the weekend, I missed the first hour of daylight, and probably more, while I was setting up.
As you say, bivvy up for the last couple of hours of daylight, have a kip, and be ready for first light.
That way I will not be falling asleep all the next day. (Hopefuly)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Dawn plus an hour or two takes some beating but is spoiled to some extent with the feeling that as the day grows older the chances of catching usually get worse.

Dusk is just the opposite, the anticipation growing as the night wears on.

Richard Parsons

Reaction score
Its got to be the early mornings for me.
Theres nothing better than seeing Bream,Carp and even the odd Barbel rolling in the early rays of light...pure magic!!
I like it because I work nights so Friday I got lots of sleep so I'm up at 2am I grab a cuppa from the 23 hour McDonalds that I have to go past where ever I'm going then on ward to my fav swim bait up,set up then just wait for the first rays of light.
Tell you what I cant wait 'till the sixtith!!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Happy June 1st and counting.

Get to a river and listen to the water tumbling over the rocks, it almost has a hollow kind of sound to it. The stillness of your surroundings and a quiteness that has to be expierienced to be appreciated.

T

The Monk

not too keen on early mornings, of course if one of the alarms goes off then I will leave the bivvy!

T

The Monk

well apart from signing on day, when you`ve got to be down at the job centre early

D

Danny Lancaster

In the Summer, dusk wins it for me. As Graham says, the anticipation just grows and grows until "the witchnig hour" where the lake just seems to come alive again after those mid afternoon quite spells.

In Autumn and Winter, its got to be Dawn. Those crisp, still mornings and that first cup of coffee out of the flask is great. Catching anything is a bonus when its like that.

L

Les Clark

Its got to be dawn for me and at this time of the year that means first light about 4am ,everybody still asleep in their bivvies missing a lot of the fish movement on the lake apart from that it is a magic time of day ,love it .

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Richard has mentioned something that is quite true, and that is the smell of water.
I find it very noticeable in the early hours. Possibly because there are less distractions at this time of the day, which allows you to concentrate on the natural surroundings. I can?t describe it, except to say that it is like the freshness of a new day, before it gets contaminated with every day distractions. Does anybody else notice this?