mobile phones and fishing

flightliner

Reaction score
Besides the everyday reasons for having a mobile, When it comes to them being used on the riverbank I have noted one or two points for the good and one or two for the worse, For the good you can let someone know what time you expect to be home, and on the downside isnt it a painful distraction when someone is all to load when using one on the other bank-- whats yours--?

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Upside, good to stay ntouch and for emergencies. Downside, distracts from the fishing. I have seen people so busy on their phones that they stop fishing. Still can not understand why people have to shout when using thier mobiles!

stuartpengs

Reaction score
AAARRRRRrrrrrg!!!!!!!! These things be the devils work.....they invoke the spirit of Electrickery turn them orf says Oi..........................Arrrrrrrrr!

Morespiders

Reaction score
AAARRRRRrrrrrg!!!!!!!! These things be the devils work.....they invoke the spirit of Electrickery turn them orf says Oi..........................Arrrrrrrrr!
You alright Alan?, lets not get carried away mate:D

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Guaranteed .................... phone rings, tip twitches, do I answer or ignore it. Tip stops and just as you answer swings all the way round.

Damned mobiles. Can't be ignored though in these times of little work, might just be the mortgage paid for the next month. :(

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Never owned one (and hope that I can hold out from doing so for many years more). Never used one (though I did hold a pal's to my ear once in order to listen to something that a mutual friend he was speaking to had to say to me).

""I'M ON THE RIVERBANK. YEAH, FISHING. HAD A DIRTY LOOK FROM A BLEEDIN' BAIT-ROBBIN' ROBIN A MINUTE AGO ... THE WRENS ARE LOOKIN' PRETTY AGGRESSIVE, TOO - THAT'S WHY I'M CALLIN' YOU. SEE YOU LATER, MATE."

Gun, please.

jcp01

Reaction score
I never take a phone even though I really should. Then again, as all the fishing emergencies I've suffered have involved a complete body submersion I still don't see the need as they die in water, don't they?

I suppose I could leave it in the bag, but someone might call and I wouldn't want that either ...

Utter isolation I say.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Mobiles are an invaluable asset to anyone out on their own. The best way of first contact with the outside world should you encounter any kind of trouble.

They also have cameras for that once in a lifetime catch where you forgot your proper camera.

I put mine on silent and only answer it if it's something I think may be important, after all, it tells me who's calling.

If you have a 'smart' phone, you can also check in on the weather reports or look at Google Maps for likely looking swims further down the bank.

A

alan whittington

All your upsides i agree with,the major downside is the missus ringing at the last knockings asking me what i want for dinner,at the only time of day the fish want to have a go,aaaarrrggghhhhhh..........:eek::eek::eek::D

flightliner

Reaction score
They also have cameras for that once in a lifetime catch where you forgot your proper camera.
Paul, the same thought occurred to me a while ago. These parts (Sheffield- Doncaster-Worksop) were once called "The triangle of death" by a well known pike angler on account of the fact that many a good pike was often killed by folk who simply did so to take them home because "no-one would believe them". With almost everyone carrying a phone these days with a camera incorporated into it all they need do is take a pic and return the fish--Well, I hope thats what will happen.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Do as I do

Own a mobile phone but bevery selective of who you give your numbers to

Mine is only known by a few close friends but I nearly slipped up and let her Ladyship known it - lucky for me me didn't have a pen to write it down.

richiekelly

Reaction score
I agree with Paul H

Two fishing friends both owe their continued existence on this Earth to the 'mobile'
Both fishing alone and both had heart attacks.

having had 2 heart attacks myself (ive always been greedy) i would never go fishing alone without my mobile phone, if you keep it in your pocket withe the sound off but on vibrate it disturbs only yourself

Last edited:

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I do agree with the carrying of one for those whose needs warrant it, as previously mentioned.

But I will never forget fishing opposite a plonker last Summer, who telephoned his pal to say he had just caught another fish. Every time he caught a fish! We were only fishing the Club's little kiddie pond, it's 'a fish a chuck in the Summer'.

As you might surmise he was one of those types who doesn't really believe in electricity or radio waves and therefore had to shout into the 'phone to be sure he could be heard.

:mad:I could have happily shot him! :mad:

ronbc5

Reaction score
Same as two previous posts having had two Heart attacks and being a member of the zipper club I always take mine but dare anybody to ring in my time on the bank, Its usually kept on silent anyway and I field any calls.

ide

Reaction score
A very handy help , i broke last year a leg whilst fishing on the river but it;s after 2 hours i can reach mine bag with the phone and 25 min later i was resuce

gr jerry