Press Release - Stillwater Barbel

S

sash

Excellent!! Cheered up an otherwise very miserable morning at work.

How about Baz as the head baliff?

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Just logged in to my emails this morning and the SBS is already up and running.

Graham (what a crawler) Marsden, has asked if he can be president.

Lee Swords has appointed himself in the role of (and get this...) The ethical cleanser and propaganda general for the society, and he's also designed a poster which I've passed on to Graham.

Doubt anyone is awake in the Barbel Society yet...

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I can't reproduce the poster in the form it's been sent in. If Lee can resend as a jpeg or gif I'll include it in the press release. With permission from the SBS of course.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Reading this article, the thoughts were spinning through my mind of how I could vent my wrath on Bob Roberts. Part way through the article I began to think this has got to be a joke, and getting more and more annoyed and confused.
Bluddie hell Bob, you had me going good style for a moment.
Great Article Pheeeew!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Bob,
Great article, however might I suggest that an alternative logo be considered?

I do believe that the ostrich is an ideal centrepiece but should its head not be firmly planted up its own backside?

Surely far more appropriate :)

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
All we need now is for someone to design it...

Sorry Baz, I forget that some folk out there are on medication!

E

Eric Hayes

Bob great article, I nearly pi**ed my pants laughing.

And I think Peter has hit the nail on the head with the logo.

W

Wolfman Woody

I won't have anything to do with a society that retains a close season or would have the likes of me as a member.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I think I will start the "Carp Only in All British Waterways Society"

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Ron

You really haven't got the hang of this. First you need to start a thread called, "Carp In British Waterways, Why?"

Next you hire a couple of idiots to fire everyone up. Refuse to listen to a damn word they say (this really winds then up), hit 'em with some uncomfortable evidence,

THEN you launch your society.

It's called marketing!

;-)

Good luck on the drain next week - I trust you'll be hitting it early before they spawn?

Bob

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Nice article Bob but you do realise that this will be taken up by the nationals as "The way forward" for modern fishing!

Not so sure about K.A. as president either, he might abuse his position and demand poles only be used knowing this to be the best and safest way to land barbel.

H

Herr General Swordsy

Having spent a week away at a re-education center I have seen the error of my ways and have changed my fishing philosophy absolutley

As the appointed ethical cleansing and propoganda general for the newly formed society for stillwater barbel, I must first take this opportunity to congratulate all of the anglers involved in such a brave new adventure. We shall eventually change the face of world fishing but first we must ensure the ethical purity of our own race!

We Will not accept any barbus species in western flowing rivers, they are a burden and nuisance upon the indigeonous species and bio-masse, therefore they should be herded together before they are evacuated to a suitable stillwater ghetto!

This is for the good of all and will ensure the continuing good sport for our match fishing idols!

All fishing clubs, which have within their length members of the barbus species should paint a large white cross upon their signs and write the word "BARBUS" below. This will assist our extraction teams on their holy cause to bring the barbus into enclosed areas where they will no longer have the freedom to roam and cause catastrophic mayhem to sensible anglers wishing to fish 1lb straight through on the stick!

Any club found harbouring the barbus without disclosure of the species presence will be wound up and its members sent for re-education.

you have been warned!

We have the rights to remove your prize specimens from your waters without notice to replensh the stocks within our wonderful stillwaters, where the fish recieve the very best in food and accomodation. Our extraction teams of eastern europeans will pay no remuneration for your losses as they are for the greater good!

REMEMBER THIS, IN FUTURE ALL FISHING WILL BE CARRIED OUT FROM SAFE AND SECURE AREAS WHERE YOUR EVERY MOVE CAN BE MONITORED FOR ETHICAL PURITY!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
SBS Logo just been submitted and added to article.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Good idea Swordsy

Only barbel in easterly flowing rivers allowed.

De-barbelise the Severn, Teme, Wye, The Three Avons, The Stour, Dane and Ribble!!

H

Herr General Swordsy

Ya!

get those barbus into still waters where they can be monitored and experimented upon!

D

David Bumblebee

Our rivers are southerly, or easterly flowing in the case of the Stour.

Having caught a stillwater barbel on the whip (3lb fish, 18" deep in 6' of water) to win a match (funny there weren't any in there the previous year?) perhaps I can apply to be match sec. Rules; only barbel count but no nets.

Maybe we could put the surplus carp in the Severn?

G

Gary Knowles 2

1. We demand the eradication of all carp (ratfish) from stillwaters containing barbel as scientific research clearly indicates some incompatibility between the two species in pools.

Sounds good to me - didn't read any of the other rules ;o)

L

Laurie Harper

Isn't there a bait company which has the same initials? Bob, think you'd better speak to them re. sponsorship - assuming you haven't already. What about other marketing ideas - tee shirts with logos like "SBS does it furtively", or "Swim slowly, swim round in circles"? Anybody else got any ideas?