I'm so "hooked" already!!

Andyw

Reaction score
Went up the GU canal again yesterday afternoon... Loving it.. Only catching small roach at present but I'm really enjoying myself!!

What a great pastime... Wish I had started sooner!! What have I missed!!

Hoorah for angling!!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good on you Andy.
It does get a little addictive doesn't it?
You would be better asking your questions on this site so that others can benefit from any answers.

Andyw

Reaction score
No, didn't get to tackle shop again... Went with corn again, bread and some soaked chum mixer...

a roach on corn and 2 on the dog mixer.

I don't drive and the wife couldn't take me to the tackle shop!!

How long will maggots keep in a fridge??

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Andy,

Assuming you get them fresh from the shop then they should last from 6 to 10 days in the fridge, if properly cleaned and kept in maize meal.

Most shops get their deliveries either of Thursday or Friday if that helps.

When you get home from a trip riddle the maggot to get rid of all the old maize and other impurities and allow the maggots to drop into a clean bait box. In this way you will then be able to throw out those that have turned or are dead and are left on the riddle.
Then add a small handfull of fresh maize meal and pop them into the top of the fridge. Every copule of days riddle again and they should be okay for the next weekend at least.

Andyw

Reaction score
Also.... what kind of small bits and bobs would it be good to have...

I'd like to get a small selection of floats, hooks, etc etc I'm sure you know the stuff.... Also line weights etc etc

I'll be making a trip to the tackle shop (when the wife takes me) so would like to pick up all i need in one go.. well at least so it lasts for a bit anyway

Thanks again!!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
If i want to keep my maggots for more than a week i will bag them up in air tight bags. This will put them in to a coma like state. Every couple of days open the bag and let some fresh air in and re-seal. Put them back in a bait box a couple of hours before you need them to come around. I have had them last for 2-3 weeks and still be as lively as new.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Andy,
using the whip I'd have the main line up to 3lb B/S at the most, a tiny waggler float or some slim boddied pole floats and a couple of pots of micro shot (No8, No10 & No12) hooks from size 22 up to size 18, A plummet (or a large shot clamped over a section of elastic band)to get the correct depth. A landing net for the occasional larger fish and disgorgers of various sizes to suit the hook. These should see you all right till you want to step up to larger fish. Some winders to keep the rigs on will be handy as well, they save setting up from scratch every session.

R

Rodney Wrestt

If you pick up a 'Fox Match' spool of line they are giving away a free spool of the corresponding strength of hooklength for about ?5.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
why not try using some bread punch on the hook,with some bread thats been really blitzed in a food blender as loose feed.
ian heaps did a really good instructional video on bread punch fishing with whips on canals,that would be ideal for you andy.see if you can get hold of a copy.if you were seriously thinking of getting into pole fishing on your stretch of canal i`d gladly send you a mark downes canal fishing video free of charge.
tight lines.

Andyw

Reaction score
I'm finding it really enjoyable... got a nice swim, only 2mins walk from home.

Went again and had 5 perch and a little roach out...

Mind you will have to get my float rod out and give that a try ... be nice to catch something bigger!! ;-)