Suggested reel lines

R

Rasmus Keis

Why are so many match/coarse rods marked with a suggested reel line strenght and how is it measured?? Hooklenghts I can understand, because sometimes you want your line to break before your rod (set the reels brake properly - no problem!).

Other rods like spin or fly are rated with an ideal casting weight, but usually says nothing about line strenght - why not? When spinfishing I use a fairly heavy braided line, and if for some reason (has never happened yet) I should be hopelessly snagged, I would have no chance of freeing the lure with the ROD - but I would never use the rod like that.

Choosing the linestrength must be done carefully, according to the fish, fishing method, the type of water and so on. Is it just a favour for the new angler? Would a max suggested linestrenght always break before the rod if put to the test (no - I wouldn't make the test)? Is it an excuse for the companies to not replace any broken rods?

Should I start to follow the stated reel lines, or should I carry on using common sense and adjust my reels brake properly?

K

Keith Orange

Measure the test curve of the rod (the pull on the hook end of the line which bends the rod tip round til it's at 90 degrees to the butt. I have an 11 ft avon legering rod with a test curve of about 1lb. The suggested reel line would be 5 times the Test Curve, so 5lb line would be acceptable. If you are an experienced angler you could reduce or increase the line strength by say plus or minus 20%.

The casting weight is one sixteenth of the test curve so the rod's optimum casting weight is about one ounce.

Fly lines are thick and strong, so their breaking strength is not relevant for most fishing. It's more important to quote the weight of the line, as you need to balance the springiness of the rod against the weight of the line.

For spinning rods (and to a lesser extent coarse rods) I think it's more important for the casting weight to be printed on the rod, rather than a recommended line strength

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

This test curve thing is only a general guide.

If you study the matter in some depth you will discover that you can never ever bend a rod to it's so called test curve. Read the article on test curves by Dr Steve Harrison of Harrison Advanced rods who is an expert in rod design.

I have used rods with a 1 pound stated test curve with lines up to 12 lbs BS in the past with no problems at all.

It also depends on whether a rod has a fast or slow taper. With a fast taper rod having a fine tip, you might find that the theoretic test curve is is quite small. yet that rod is capable of handling casting weights well in excess of the 1/16 of the curve loading.

Modern carbon fibre has change much of the old test curve rules for good.

As Dr Steve says, the test curve system of rating the power of rods is extremely flawed.

M

madpiker

i totally agree ron.claimed test curves of rods are only a rough guide,eg,i once bought two browning espace 3lb tc rods to use on big waters such as loch awe.they would have been more at home on the river ebro or beach fishing,another so calledd 3lb tc rod that i looked at in a shop was more akin to 2lb tc.
it`s the same with boat rods for sea fishing,a 20lb class rod of one make can be more powerful than a 30lb class of another.