signal crayfish

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i`m fishing a lake in a couple of weeks time with a good head of big carp and some big barbel as well (lets leave the barbel debate to one side for a bit).
the trouble is that the lake owner keeps signal crayfish there which he uses for the pot at his restaraunt.the last time i fished there,i was plagued by the bloomin things allday!!!
i`ve thought about dropping a punctured tin of cat food in the margins to distract the buggers but i`m worried about bait presentation.do these things swim midwater enabling themselves to have a go at popped up baits or baits fished zig rig style???or do they just crawl around on the lake bed???
the crayfish i remember catching as a kid in my local brook aint a patch on these bleeding things!!!

J

jason fisher

no they don't swim mid water, they stand on the bottom and pull the bait down by the line. i am not having you on or taking the piss they actually do this. the only way to deal with them reliably is to fish somewhere else.

the tin of cat food does work quite well though.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

The cat food trick is one used by the regulars on my stretch of the grand union.

I've been out the last couple of nights after the carp & have used some popped up rubber corn & only had the one clawed crusader on each night.When I've used a trigga pellet however they have been a nuisance.

Maybe a combination of the cat food & corn might be worth a try.

H

Herr General Swordsy

catch em and eat em ! bugger the carp they taste terrible, like cotton wool with pins in!

Seriously, the catfood trick does work but why not put the catfood discreetly in a crayfish trap?

all you do is boil them for 10 minutes and eat them cold with mayo!or hot with whatever takes your fancy, from lemon juice to thai green curry.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

From the Grand Union Canal Lee? Not sure what they've been chewing on!

M

Mr. Uncredible

Nigel that is the point isn't it? Even those from the bottom of Nick's pool can't be that nice dished up at the owners table I would have thought. Taste like pellets more than likely if carp are in there - or carp shit one of the two!

H

Herr General Swordsy

Fair points there lads, its not a crystal clear chalk steam is it!

Could always make boillies with them!

J

Jaffa

The best way to beat them is a good stamping on its head.Lol