Bubbling

Pete Shears

Reaction score
What bait would be relatively successful to catch carp that are throwing up umpteen square yards of bubbles in 15ft plus deep water ?
The bottom is covered in thick layers of black skeletal leaves which leave any boilie with a horrible smell even after about 20 mins,when this gunge catches the hook,lead etc sometimes there are a few bloodworm in it - I have tried hemp etc but if the carp switch on to hemp the only way to get a bite is to use hair rigged tares or similar which tend to fall off when cast 60-70 yards into that depth of water - any help appreciated

J

jason fisher

they're on bloodworm by the sound of it and probably preoccupied, good luck.
though i have heard mention there's some bloodworm immitation bolies out there or something like.

Andy Stafford

Reaction score
When they're bubbling hard on bloodworm they're preoccupied with both the food item and the way in which they're feeding on it, i.e. heads partially buried in the silt, taking bloodworm below the surface of the silt. It's really a waste of time fishing for them when this is happening.
Occasionally one can be trapped on worm or red maggot, but it's very hard going. Sometimes they become catchable when they've finished bubbling and can be susceptible to any normal bait fished nearby. A bit like you and I fancying a sweet of ice cream after a large portion of fish and chips.

O

Ozz

Pete,
try wrapping a single bait in concentrated shrimp paste (Belachan), this stuff stinks to high heaven and dissolves in about 20mins off the bait.
I've used it in conjunction with 14mm halibut pellets.

S

sash

I don't think it's a waste of time fishing for them at all, indeed you've done the hard part already ie located the carp, found out where they're feeding and what on.

I'd suggest a long tailed helicopter type rig (set up safely) with perhaps a small pva bag stuffed with maggots (dead and alive) and maggots on the hook. A couple of dissolving foam nuggets in the bag and one on the hook will help it settle better.

Alternatively try leading around to find a harder patch on the edge of the silt to present a bait too.

B

Bully

I'd go with Sash on this. Similar to one of our lakes. Could try the "medusa" rig, using red maggots??

F

Frothey

like sash says, but i also stick some bloodworm oil and pellet in the bag. no idea whether it makes a difference but you get a nice cloud (try it in the margins) and the bag casts/sinks better with the pellet in it.

and i've got to use it up somehow!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Although the bloodworm frenzy is certainly the likely suspect, don't rule out spawn itself. When we were at Hunt's Corner a few years back, the carp were riping up the bottom just after spawning, they were frantically feeding on it like there was no tomorrow. If that is the case, forget it and rest yourself up for a few days!

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions,but when these carp really stir the bottom up,dabchicks & moorhens home in on the erupting bubbles to get an easy snack or two,in shallower parts I have seen the carp crash dive the bottom,turning upwards at the last minute and they stir all the crap on the bottom right up and then cruise through it all about a foot off the bottom picking out what they want,yes I have tried pop-ups straight off the lead at all different depths,I'll keep trying and if I find a successful method I will post it to help everyone else...thanks again

C

Chub King

Fascinating fish behaviour! If the bottom's soft you can try adding shot to a long hooklink close to your boilie so that it gets buried in the silt where the fish are feeding. Alternatively, if they're wafting bait up off the bottom and taking it there, then try counterbalancing some red maggots with rig foam so that your hookbait only just sinks, then it will hang briefly in the suspended material for them to find.
Personally, I'd spod live and dead maggots and fish a mag-aligner set-up and PVA bag of dead and live reds over the top. Mag-aligner plastic maggots are sold by Enterprise and it explains how to use them on the back of the packet. Whether they want to be buried in the silt or not is something I'd experiment with on each rod, some on top of the silt, some beneath. Leadcore helicopter rig would probably be best for this presentation. Good luck. Hope you nail one.

alan strickland

Reaction score
Had same problem happen with tench,try waiting until mid day when hopefully theve moved off for a bit and bait the area with dead red maggot then fish same as suggested above on a medusa rig.
Dont bother with live maggot`s as they will bury themselves in seconds in silt/leaves and you have same problem as with bloodworm (fish feeding in the silt and your bait going un-noticed on the top).

alan strickland

Reaction score
Sorry Chub King diddnt read your post before i posted my reply.
Not fished for carp under these circumstances so like you said id try a rod on both method`s.
Never been able to get a bait deep enough into silt to get a take but then again ive not used leadcore only strung out shot on hooklength.

C

Chub King

Never tried the method myself, just been told it can work. If the silt's soft enough that loose boilies sink into it then fish can be caught on baits presented deep in the silt. Apparently (on good authority).