Further Spread of the Zander

D

David Marrs

With the proposed opening of the Severn Thames Canal it is in my opinion, almost without shadow of doubt that Zander will infiltrate the Thames. Indeed given the fact that there is a large head of Zeds already present in the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal, it probably wont take too very long either! What will be the ramifications though for both fish and anglers when this occurs? I have heard rumours of the odd Zed from the Thames in the past. Unless my memory fails me, weren't they also mentioned as coming from Teddington on the Thames in the Zed man's first bible 'Zander'! If this is the case and they have actually been present in the Thames for some time already, why are they hardly, if ever caught? Could it be that they aren't a suitable species for this particular river? What if they do infiltrate and then inhabit the river in numbers and in the first few years go through the small fish populations like the proverbial plague of locusts. Will we, after the fens have settled (ish!) have another section of the country where local anglers despise Zander?

I am an avid Zander angler, indeed apart from bait I rarely fish for anything else. I would be very interested in anyone else's view on the subject.

C

Chris Bishop

I'm sure the Thames would suit 'em just fine, they seem to get on just about everywhere else they get into.

There are so many plans to link up waterways now it's inevitable that they're going to get into just about every river system with the poss exception of Wessex, Devon, Somerset Levels and other places not connected to the main waterways system.

As for catches, there are only a few bits of the Thames which get pike-fished, so they probably aren't going to show unless they get a sudden liking for pole-fished hempseed.

When they do start showing I'm sure it'll follow the same cycle is has everywhere else. Rumour - we're at this stage at the moment, zeds are rumoured to have been caught around Oxford. Hysteria - they're spreading, kill 'em all. This is the stage we're at on some of the W MIds canals, Warks Avon etc at the moment. Then eventually it all calms down and everyone realises they might shift the biomass slightly but they don't really do a lot of damage.

D

David Marrs

I agree with you Chris, in time I believe they will inhabit most river systems. If only the 'Hysterical' gave them a chance, they would settle into the ecosystem so much quicker than they currently do, being systematically culled. I thought I'd play a bit of devils advocate when I put my last thoughts in. Its nice to hear your views. If I had a quid for each matchmen who have seen a nice Zander, and not exclaimed what a strikingly handsome fish it is, Id be wadded up!

C

Chris Bishop

It's odd really. One of the matchmen had a 15 up here last season on two red maggots.

There are still loads of zed heads chasing that one, although I don't think it's come out since.

The ecology of some waters like the Cut-Off undoubtably has changed, more of other species there as large fish rather than 2 - 4oz roach and skimmers.

But this also happens on waters where there are no zander which have cormie problems, ie North Level and some of the Lincs drains.

Other waters like parts of the Ouse, Twenty Foot, Ramsey Forty Foot etc have a lot of zander and they don't seem to upset the balance at all.

D

David Will

They are in the Thames already.If you know where to go Schoolie size Zeds are in abundance.They are not being fished for by many but are usually the result of Pike anglers efforts.Like Dave Zander have a special place in my fishing.Variety is the spice etc.Having fished the Fens for years and marvelled at the amounts of silver fish in the likes of the Great Ouse , Cut Off, Middle Level I have no doubts about the alleged destruction they cause.It is non existant.I have found that Zander displace Pike as good Zander areas are rarely good Pike spots and vice versa.

C

Carp Angler

I targetted zander for the first time on Friday night and caught my first of the species.
Only a tiddler at about 2lb, but a first and by design.

Caught it on the lower Severn, where they have obviously decimated the silver fish stocks, judging by the way that the water was almost alive with prey fish and fry.

D

David Will

Nice one Carp Angler , another convert ?
I think if match anglers actually fished matches on some of our rivers like the lower Great Ouse in summer and autumn instead of the winter only they would be in for a pleasant suprise.I used to believe that it was a waste of time trying to catch bait at venues like the Cut Off, Great Ouse and Middle Level etc but it is easy in the warmer months.Apart from a few bream anglers you never see anyone fishing for silver fish till the Winter leagues start.Then of course it can be peggy and tough but what do they expect.Whilst you watch the small fish top on the Fens at dusk the Zander runs start.It is not unusual to have run after run from Schoolies yet the small fish abound. The Thames is the same.Whilst Carping you see small silver topping all over the place and paste baits don't stand a chance.But in summer I do not see how people expect to turn up at 10am and fish till 3pm in baking sunshine and catch. You see people do this and then bemoan a lack of fish.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'm another angler of a few years experience who has yet to catch his first zander. In fact I have yet to see a zander 'in the flesh' having never fished for them. This is something I hope to put right this year. I have one or two invitations to fish for them from experienced zed anglers and I'm really looking forward to it. From their photos they look to be a great fish, and I'll be happy with a 2-pounder like Riks to break my duck.

R

Ron Clay

I caught my first zander in the Ramsey Fortyfoot last autumn. I was very impressed by these fish, they do look very like American Walleye.

My best in a weeks holiday was 10 1/4 lb. I wonder why people say that they don't fight. The biggest one fought MUCH harder than most pike of the same weight.

Will organise for you to catch a Z this autumn Graham. No problem. The Zs on the 40ft like big lumps of mackerel.

D

David Will

What you often find is they do nothing until they get under the rod tip then go beserk.For this reason a rod in the 1 and three quarter to 2lb t.c.is ideal for all Fens venues except the Relief where long casting can pay off. Graham I do not know if you are into lures at all but it is a good way of picking up the odd fish when lives and deads are not performing. Wobbling can also work.Shad Rap type lures are good.

C

Chris Bishop

I reckon I lost more using mono and soft rods because the give and stretch gave 'em enough slack to throw the hooks.

A

Andy Doughty

I use 2 1/4lb test rods and mono. But I am switching to braid for zander fishing. More sensitive bite indication and a better feel for what the fish is going to do. I think that the zander dont know they are hooked until they see your net, and then go mad. The mono tends to stretch and then bottom out and bump them off when the rod bends over to its limit. The braid just gives better feel. They do seem to be bigger head shakers than pike.

C

Chris Bishop

I'm sure I don't lose as many as I did using softer gear a couple of years back.

D

David Will

I can only recall losing two, one made me really sick as it was on the Relief Channel and was huge. These two were on 3lb t.c rods with braid in order to fish a far bank margin (100 yds). Both came off under the tip.I switched to 2lb t.c rods and braid and haven't lost anymore...yet!.

C

Chris Bishop

Going back to this spread of the zander stuff, I'm spending some time on the Thames with some mates soon, so I'll have a couple of nights trying to catch them.

R

Ron Clay

Lots of anglers I have met seem to be under the impression that you need extremely powerfull rods to land big fish. What you do need is sufficient action to cushion the sudden plunges of a big fish when it is under your rod tip.

There still seems to be quite a lot of work that needs doing to combine fish playing with casting. I am actually looking for a couple of rods about 11 1/2 feet long with a nice through action with say about 2.5 lbs TC for piking and zandering in the fens this winter.

Any suggestions.

C

Chris Bishop

Using decent hooks and making sure the bait comes clear when you tighten into takes helps too.

I use the same rods for 90% of my pike and zander fishing - check out the Martyn Page Marvics, slightly stiffer but light, crisp and a fantastic action for playing fish.

Andy D uses Daiwa carp rods - can't remember for the life of me what they are.