A fishermans reaction

B

Bully

A mate of mine, who I go night fishing regularly with (together with our two boys) told me of an "event" when he went fishing last week, and I was a bit gobsmacked. There again, I was wondering if I was being a little bit over judgemental.

He was fishing at a complex where there are a number of different lakes. Typical commercial, but actually quite well run. One lake is the specimen lake, with some nice, well conditioned fish.

My mate was fishing the all purpose lake, still with some nice fish. His son, 13, went off to do some stalking at last knockings (they were just doing daylight).

Anyway, he's all packed up and then gets the "I'm in Dad". Landing net already packed, he runs over only to find his son has gone onto the specimen lake. A guy near by walks over and volunteers his landing net. While playing the fish the guy asks how old my mates son is. Anyway, tops up that the specimen lake is for 18 and over.

Junior lands the fish, 34lb mirror, stalked on floaters, using 4lb line !! Guy has an absolute eppy at my mate about how long he has been fishing, 34lber coughs up a load of his boilies (made me smile), he has an absolute spaz. F's and blinds. Goes back to his bivvy, hurls his landing net at it, then kicks all three rods off his landing net.

My mate went over and apologised about his son fishing on the lake (it was no where near the guy though), and he apologised to the owner and took full responsibility for his son's un-approved fishing.

What would your reaction be?

I hope mine would be "well done mate, nice fish" and then thought perhaps I should have got off my arse with a bit of fishcraft myself !!

Andyw

Reaction score
Give the jealous bloke a slap!! (JOKE)...

The lad should be congratulated big style!!

Nice fish!!

L

Les Clark

Bully ,A genuine mistake ,tell the bloke to grow up and then give him a slap (not a joke).
Well done to the lad .

B

Bully

LoL Alan.

Hi Les, you OK?

And no Baz, I dont know you!?!?

B

Bully

Of course, hence my friends apologies. But is that how you would react? I'd still congratulate the boy in spades.

B

Bully

With that reaction? Anyway, its up to the parent to teach them, which is why my mate apologised and explained to his son latter. But F'ing in front of him etc he basically went ballistic.

I know for one thing, he would have been swimming with the 34lber if he said what he said to my son.

....and I would have clipped my son round the ear afterwards.

H

Herr General Swordsy

selfish idiot has ruined the catch of a lifetime for that young lad.

shame on him!

He would have got a slap!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bully,
Seriousely,there was no need for the verbal from this clown.
I got a bite off Les though :)

L

Les Clark

Bully ,Im alright mate ,how about you ?
Are you coming to the fish in ?

Baz, as this is not the baitbox I will water this down ,don`t be a prat all your life ,take a day off !

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I suspect that seeing a grown man losing his composure may well give the lad a better idea of what his achievment is worth than receiving a well-bred "I say, well done" through gritted teeth.
And if he's a typical, red-blooded 13-year old, he'll be chuckling about it for years! "The day I poached some pillock's P.B. and his head came off!"
Any lad who can land such a fish on 4 lb string deserves to be regarded as an honorary "Old Hand" - retrospectively, to keep Baz happy.

B

Bully

HI Les, fine thanks. Unfortunately I'll be fishing in France that week with the big boys (I mean size of course).

Actually my mates son is a damn good fisherman. He started off, like my son, just float fishing while we were behind our buzzers. He has often hooked into big fish as a result (although not this big) and has learnt how to play a fish properly. I have seen him land a 20+ fish on a single maggot on an 18. He really has learnt how to use tackle at an early age.......look out for him !!

J

jason fisher

i'd have ignored the bloke and chucked the little bugger in, in an end of boat race like celebration.

F

Frothey

so the bloke would've been happy if your mates son was a bit older? nothing like being shown up by a junior is there!

J

jason fisher

though ignoring the bloke would have been difficult as ignoring any tit is.