Canals... and boats...

Andyw

Reaction score
Me again....

Does the fact that narrowboats are going up and down the canal.. fairly regular make a difference to the fish?? Obviously I'm having to bring my whip and and out regular... but do the fish mind??

Does the churned up water make them feed more? Or does it put them off?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The disturbance that the boats make can be of benefit to fish in a number of ways.
They cloud the water up, perch especially can be caught as a boat has just gone through, along with other species.
They also help to stop the canals from weeding up.
It is us anglers who have the problem of boat traffic. At one time I could bait a swim up on my local cut, and be quite happy in the knowledge that my free offerings would still be where I put them for some time. But the boats disturb the bottom layers and distribute the bait all over the place. We as anglers have to find a way around the problem, i.e early mornings, before the boats start.

Andyw

Reaction score
I'm going more during the week so the boat traffic is less... I went Saturday and an angler just gave up after being there for 2 hours and having 30-40 boats go past.. easier for me on a whip but more hassle with a float rod I guess....

I fish near a 1 way bridge... so boats tend to slow right down to pass.... making it easier to get my whip in and the 2 kids ones as well.... though they tend to panic and then get tangled

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

One way you have to look at it is that if boating wasn't so popular a lot of canals would have been drained and filled in. One thing I do know is that they're a lot cleaner and hold more fish than they did 30 years ago.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
One or two boats as mentioned will colour the water up and can actually improve fishing. If you are getting a lot of boats though it can put the fish off. If you are fishing a whip then I presume you are fishng the near side of the canal and as such i cant see any reason to even bother taking your whip rig in and out, just leave it in. It would maybe be a good idea to feed a good handfull of bait after a boat has gone past as any previous loose feed will most likely have been washed away.

Andyw

Reaction score
Well the canal narows to a small single "track" bridge... so they are all over the place... had a load of girlies on a hen do the other day.. nearly trashed the boat but on the way back they slowed and threw the kids party hats, party poppers and tooters!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Canals were built to take boat traffic. I have fished on canals many times in my life and putting up with boat traffic is part of the character of fishing canals.

Fish actually love the boats. Go to any area where there are lots of boats parked and you will find lots of fish.

Accept the boats and you will enjoy canal fishing much more. There are some fantastic specimen fish in many or our canals.

Andyw

Reaction score
Does canal fishing change in anyway when you go through the night??

Obviously less boats!! Hoorah... but how does night angling affect the fish themselves?

Do catch's improve during the night?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some places do and others don't mate. You will have to try it out in your own area.