FISHINGmagic.com and its posters

• Thread starter Herr General Swordsy
  • Start date
H

Herr General Swordsy

Graham Whatmore has recently remarked that he has seen a downturn in the quality of the forums on FISHINGmagic, do you agree?

Being a relative newcomer to the site I cannot comment on any longterm downturn in the forum's and their content or the intellectual levels of the forums and their posters.

Being one of the more fiery and opinionated of the new(ish)posters the blame for any downturn has to lay pretty much at mine and others like myselves feet. Are we too aggressive and should we sugarcoat ourselves for public consumption but also at the same time dillute our true feelings on certain isssues that are very close to our hearts for risk of offending?

Finally what does FM mean to you? I know that for myself FM has been a revelation, an opportunity to speak to hundreds if not thousands of anglers, to create new bonds and share information about everything from books to boillies! I have made lots of new mates (and probably a few enemies)FM for me is part of my fishing kit now, I think it and its posters are fantastic.

Thanks Graham and thanks to the members!

H

Herr General Swordsy

I also think that posters who hide behind pseudo-names when posting do so at the cost of their own respect.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've just made a few comments relating to this issue here

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Please come back to this thread to reply so that we don't get two threads debating the same issue.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking personally, when I first came to the FM site I was so pleased to have found an informative and friendly place where views could be exchanged, sometimes argued over but even then always with a high degree of common courtesy, logic and intelligence.

Maybe the topics were somewhat less controversial back then, as it does seem that recent topics have caused a lot of bad feelings, which have led to poor judgement in the content of some contributions to downright insults in others.

My appraoach now is to enter into a discussion until it becomes obvious that the contributors (regardless of if they use their real names or an alias) appear to have either a hidden agenda or are simply arguing for the sake of stiring up the mud. At this point I simply cease to contribute, after all it is not as if there is a dirth of threads to take one's interest.

I have been very lucky to have met and made friends with a good many of the people on FM and long may that continue.
To me FM is still the first place I turn to when I get the time and I would feel as if I had lost a good friend if I ever got to the point where I felt I could no longer enjoy contributing.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Since I became a member, in 2000, FM has become part of my life.

If it ever dissappeared I think I would shoot myself.

The vast majority of the members are some of the greatest guys in angling I have evet met.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

But I do wish those who post under a pseudonym would tell us who they are.

I realise it's difficult for some with works computors but where its possible I do not see a problem.

L

Les Clark

I have got agree with Ron(apart from the shooting myself bit ) ,it is a important part of my life I learn ,have a laugh and have a good debate at times .
I also feel that the fact that we are sitting behind a computer at home/work we may say things a little bit stronger than we would if we were face to face .
One or two threads of late have been a tad over the top ,but this is debateing and nobody should take offence at it .

Clikfire

Reaction score
As someone who does use a nickname, I would say that is not for any particular reason other than I have used it for the last 7-8 years on anything I have done on the internet.

It started when I used to play online internet games. (sad I know, but I just found the idea of killing people from all over the world from my front room fasinating). My ebay account uses the same name, as does any IT site etc I access now.

When I first started posting someone on here said something to one of my postings, ref hiding behind my name, but I simply hadn't realised that my details where hidden / others were visible. This was fixed when I worked it out.

As for the quality of the forum threads, everyone has a choice as Peter above say's. If you don't like where it's going don't follow it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Using your nickname Clive is fine, as you do put your real name in your profile.

It's those who post "from the dark side" who concern me a little.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
"My appraoach now is to enter into a discussion until it becomes obvious that the contributors (regardless of if they use their real names or an alias) appear to have either a hidden agenda or are simply arguing for the sake of stiring up the mud. At this point I simply cease to contribute, after all it is not as if there is a dirth of threads to take one's interest."

Wise words Peter. Much of the stuff we read is simple, childish attention seeking, and the best way of dealing with it is to ignore it.

S

Shrek

Since I've been a member of FM, I have also learned more about fishing than I could have ever have before. Also, since turning to predominantly to game fishing, I've been able to thrash ideas out and get some alternative views or ideas on things.

Meeting up with people at fish in's has also helped tremendously as you can put faces to names, makes it more real.

I wouldn't shoot myself if FM had to close down, but I would miss it a lot.

As for the attention seeking threads, like Graham has said, I simply ignore them.

Thanks to all who have helped with instruction or debate on any thread I've posted, it's been much appreciated.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Attention seaking threads?

There was recently The Two Rod Rule thread, I made my point early on in this thread, and from there it went on to friendly banter.
I would appreciate it if somebody would let me know if they thought this was an attention seeking thread, as I do not know of any.
I think I even said on that particular thread, that it was purposely put on Bait Box so that it could be discussed, and knocked about a bit afterwards.
I see everybody on this forum as friendly, helpfull, and informative when asked.
There have been a few remarks where I thought people were being serious, but then they will encourage the same fooling about a couple of postings later.
But what one person likes, does not nececarilliy sit well with the next person.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As to Swordsy's question should people like him sugarcoat their thoughts and oppinions so as not to offend others?
My answer to that is a deffinate no.
We can all learn from the better writers amongst us. There are a number of things that I have picked up from other posters on this forum.

What Does F.M. mean To Me?
A heck of a lot. For one thing it gets me away from that t.v. set.
I will not name anybody, and there are a number of them, but when I get a private mail from one of F.M's more prominent members if you like, that in it's self is worth an awful lot.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Speaking generally I don't believe that there is any lack of quality and passion in the posts on here but I'd have to concur that one or two people get stroppy when things don't suit.

The majority of us are self moderating, or if we feel someone has stepped over the invisible line then a private email has usually sorted it out.

We dealt with inappropriate names and bad language amicably quite recently without having to involve moderators. I think most posters regard FM as a site for grown-ups and as such it attracts more mature responses than a great number of sites.

What has happened recently probably has more to do with the fact that it's the closed season and many members are itching for the rivers to open up at which point we'll see more technique based discussions.

On the subject of anonymous posters I'm rapidly coming to the point where I'm not prepared to respond to any of the points they make.

What I would like to see is a different coloured header strap for those posters who haven't shared their email addresses with those they wish to debate with. Sort of an instant open member/ hidden member colour code at the top of each post.

On balance I maintain greater respect for the open posters, even when they have diametrically opposing views.

As for what the site menas to me, it means a lot when I can't go fishing. I've made good friendships, have had some great trips and had some fantastic emotional battles. I love the leg pulls, the banter and the cameraderie. I'd certainly miss it if I gave up on it but that's unlikely to happen.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry,
One more thing.
If any member is unhappy with the threads on here, then all they have to do is post something themselves which they think may be of interest to other members. Do a bit of research, and start a new thread if you feel so strongly about it.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Bob,

I,m not sure as I'd go as far to distinguish those posters who didnt share their e-mail addresses.

A name would simply suffice.

I have posted on other sites where any request for information usually gets short shrift unless you have provided your inside leg measurements.This is going a bit far but as has been said if your advancing fairly trenchant views then you should be man enough to put our head above the parapet.

As to what this ite means to me its probably about half an hour off my working day! Seriously I have met some great anglers some of which I would now consider friends,fished some new waters,got plenty of information & had some good craic.What more could you ask?

F

Frothey

nothing to stop "hidden" members from filling in imaginary names/e-mail addresses though....