Hook length spools

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I seem to have accumalated quite a load of hooklength spools that I carry around in my bag and I can guarantee if I take some out I will need one of them next time I go. Theres mono, fluoro, braid all at different breakings strains but the quantity is getting out of hand now.

At the moment I have them wrapped in a bag at the bottom of my carryall but I often think there must be a better way. What do you do with them?

Milo

Reaction score
I've got my commonly used ones in my tackle box, a few less-used ones in a freebie spool bag that I got with AT or IYCF, and the rest are in a storage crate with the rest of my fishing debris that only comes out with me on long trips "just in case" :)

I found that the mags tend to give away mono spools in the same strain (4lb), so you could always give them to the youngsters on the banks - they'll be made up! Better to let someone else have the use of it instead of letting them rot! (Says he with some in crates!).

J

john ledger

Graham
I always store mine on that corrugated cardboard they use for packing.
I make two slits each end with stanley knife hook in one end and wrap around leaving loop or hooklengh end in other slot.If i cut the cardboard about 9in by 4in i can store loads and they never tangle and easy to remove. Saves messing about on bank

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham,

Hook length storage is something that I think no manufacturer has yet come up with a good design for.

The best I found are the old ones made by Tubertini.

These are (relatively cheap) plastic wallets that hold corrugated plastic (just like John's cardboard ones) and you can store about 12 boards in each wallet.
They lie flat in your bag or box and I use different wallets for different purposes; pole rig hook lengths, stick floats etc.

Milo do make a small range of really lovely boxes but they are very expensive and don't hold nearly as many hook lengths as the wallet style.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Sorry, perhaps I never made myself clear, I carry the actual spools with me. not made up hooklengths, apart from a selection of short method rigs.

I have 5 Power pro spools, 3 fluorocarbon, 2 braid, and 2 or 3 of Silstar match spools, so theres a dozen straightaway. Why? I dunno, I know I don't need them all on one day but like I said if I take some out I forget and then when I need them I find I've left them in a drawer I use for line.

Am I the only one that carries spools?

S

Shrek

I have my spools of mono and flouro in a large reel case (baitrunner size) and find that's more than adequate.

Might take a moment or two to find the spool I need, but I know it's in there somewhere.

W

Wolfman Woody

You'll have to keep an eye on AT and AM over these next few weeks, they're always giving stuff away at the start of the season. Maybe they'll give one of their spool cases again.

I have one form IYCF I think, but I don't take it with me. If you want it Graham, you're welcome.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Didn't know there was such a thing Jeff but in this day and age I suppose its not surprising. Thank you for the offer and I'll get it off you when I see you - hopefully on your bit of river during the summer.

Milo

Reaction score
As an aside - the IYCF on sale in a couple of weeks has a John Wilson DVD on it... this months had some Shimano line... "Beast Master" wasn't it?

W

Wolfman Woody

It did Milo, and that is what Connor was using as his mainline when he hooked the lump. It was the hooklink that broke.

Smokedodger

Reaction score
Graham, I found the perfect solution when me missus bought me a type of 1 coke can size coolie bag. The spools fit perfectly on top of one another and hold about half a dozen easily and are protected from the light.