over-fished water, advice needed!

B

Birds Nest

Hello all,
I had several sessions at the end of last season targeting barbel and chub on quite a fast flowing, narrow and snaggy stretch of the Kennet that is obviously over-fished(often impossible to get a swim). I blanked every time other than landing a small chub of 3lb. Can anybody offer advice to fishing this type of water? Whats the best way to tackle this stretch and get the edge over my fellow anglers?! I intend to go back there on the 16th for a couple of days as it has become quite a challenge for me.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Wayne,

Dont take this the wrong way but why dont you find a water away from the crowds?

You cant live far from the Thames where there are some very big barbel indeed & you could fish in relative solitude on the right stretches.Finding the barbel should be all the challenge you need!

As for the Kennet, (presumably Benyons?), I've never fished it but the same priciple applies anywhere there are pressured fish - try giving them something different.

I suspect its probably a pellet water so how about feedered particles especially early on in the season.Try rubber casters if your minnowed out.

How about a moving bait either under a float or trundled.Look what Ray Walton did on the Ouse when he took his rolling meat method up there.

How about fishing in the margins when possible, where the fish are not suspicious of a bait.

Dont be afraid of breaking away from the herd.The most succesful anglers arent afraid of looking stupid to try & find something that works even if the regulars give them funny looks.

Best of luck & welcome to the site.

B

Birds Nest

Thanks for the advice Nigel, the reason I started fishing this stretch was purely for convenience's sake(5 minutes from my house). However, as you say, the Thames isn't far away at all and I will be making a few visits to it come the new season. Rolling meat is a method that I also intend to explore more this season, I'll have to check out a few threads/articles on it! Thanks again.
Quick question with regards to different baits - can anybody anybody comment on the effectiveness/feasibility of using stock cubes as an attractant?