Whats your favourite PVA (bags or mesh) and why.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
I just want to know what everybody's favourite PVA is and what brands you like best.
It can be bags or mesh.

I mainly use Gardner micromesh which is strong and doesn't ladder, it melts slowly and completely when I've tested it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I use Korda Funnel Web when barbelling. It workds well but why so incredibly expensive?

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i`ve had plenty of success using esp pva bags fished in conjuction with anchor bds leads.successful hookbaits used with this method include hair rigged corn,popped up rubber pellets and popped up rubber corn.
i`ve got some nash funnel/mesh type pva stocking stuff but always have trouble tying up neat compact packages of pellets etc...and i tend to waste alot of it.
i`d be intrested if anyone has used the new pva bags with draw strings???i`m a bit worried about the draw string not being strong enough to hold a full bag of pellets while casting and the whole bloody lot flying off.

L

Les Clark

Nick ,there is nack to makeing neat little bags with funnel mesh and it is easy but hard to exsplain ,maybe someone can put up a step by step drawing on the rig page ?
Caky or Frothy maybe ?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Frothey knows of places that sell it very cheap so does John Conway if I remember right. If you put it in the search on here you will probably find it, its been talked about before a few times.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Ron, the Korda stuff is ok but I can remember using it when it wasn't anti-ladder and thought it was a pain.

I know its been anti-ladder for quite a long time now but by then I had discoverd the gardner micromesh.

Nick, I use a Gardner Baggit tube to fill my mesh which is easier than a tube, you can use a small Korda plunger to help push the pellets down, then just push and squeese it tight with your hands.
Tying the knots tight and quick just takes a bit of practise.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Ron, if you use a lot of mesh for barbel then give the Gardner micromesh a go it takes any size pellets without them falling out.
I always like using a combination of sizes from 2mm to 8mm.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Soaking your mesh bags in glug or oil is always worth doing too and it slows the melt rate down a bit as well.

L

Les Clark

Nick I will try to explain how to make a tight funnel bag :
We will take it from step one ,a new stocking ,pull it on to the filler tube tie a knot at the end ,fill with whatever you want ,what size you want and then make a oversized loose knot but do not tighten ,then put two fingers through the middle of the knot ,hold the stocking at the top of of the bag and with the other hand bring the loose knot as close to the bag as you can and then tighten ,you should have your tight bag and then do the lose knot again ,go through the same procedure but this time you want another knot close to the last knot and then cut between the knots snd you should have a tight bag and the knot ready for the next bag .
I hope you can make heads or tails out of this ,for me it is hard to explain but with practise it is easy to do .
Got to have a drink now !