Blue carp

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
I have seen in a few magazines french lakes advertising the usual stuff hundreds of 30's etc and i noticed "blue carp" what the hell are blue carp????

T

The Monk

the old terminology for carp used to be blue backs, carp do a blue tinge under certain light angles, never actually seen a blue one, although nothing would surprise me?

W

Wolfman Woody

At school we used to show newcomers the blue goldfish down the toilets.

F

Frothey

isnt there some in one of the surrey lakes....cant remember the name, commercial one?

Joskin

Reaction score
We have a local garden centre called Yarnton nurseries and they have 2 Carp that are around the 20lb mark in an indoor pond, The sign on the pond says that they are Blue Carp but they look like normal mirrors to me and certainly dont look anything like the picture on that link.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
That thing looks prehistoric i saw an advert for a syndicate giving the oppertunity to fish for genuine original blue carp it gave the impression that these were original king carp. Im quite confussed now.

T

The Monk

looks a similar specie to the Bulgarian Silver carp, definately not Cyprinidae (or not as we know it Jim)

Clikfire

Reaction score
That looks a powerful fish, bet it would be fun to catch one of them.

T

The Monk

Blue Carp with Horseradish Sauce
(Karpfen blau mit Meerrettichsosse)

Carp is the traditional meal eaten on Good Friday, the Friday before Easter. In Germany, Easter is a four-day holiday throughout the country and a special time for families to get together. This recipe is not complicated and requires only a watchful eye to make sure the fish does not overcook.

Ingredients:

1 carp (4-1/2 lbs.), sand whiting or fresh water perch
white wine vinegar, enough to cover fish
3 large sliced onions
1 bay leaf
mixed (dried) herbs
8 black peppercorns
salt
1 lemon
Directions

1. Soak the carp for three hours in salted water. Wash, scale and dry.

2. Place in a fish kettle, bring vinegar to a boil and pour over fish. Let soak for 10 minutes.

3. Add sliced onions, bay leaf, herbs, salt and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low heat and cook until fish is tender.

4. Rinse carp quickly in hot, then cold water. Then place back in stock and gently reheat. Remove fish to a platter.

5. Serve with a horseradish sauce, boiled potatoes and watercress or a salad. Garnish with lemon slices. In Franconia, carp is often served with a potato salad.
Guten Appetit!

Serves 4 - 6

Clikfire

Reaction score
Sounds tasty to me.

I knew that this dish existed because a lady I speak with in Enkenbach, Germany was trying to explain it to me. Didn't get the detail you have given though Monk.

Don't see where the perch or whiting go into it.

I remember my grandad telling me that perch taste really nice.

T

The Monk

A few years ago I was in a Russian fish market in Varna, Northern Bulargian and they had all sorts on the slabs. crucian, zander, carp cats the lot, in fact we were going round picking them up and photographing one another with them, until the market KGB threw us out haha