Taking the pith

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
When's the best time to cut elder shoots for pith for float-making ? I tried just now, hoping it would be easy to peel while green, but the pith seemed sappy and small.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Alan,
I cut or snap pieces of elder at any time of the year.
WhatI do then is to put them next to a central heating boiler to dry them out with the bark still on. After two days or so they are usually spot on for float making. Pike or marker floats.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Thanks, Baz, I'll try that, I wonder if the colours stay the same? I could always try freeze-drying them, if I can sweet talk the girl in charge of the machine @work!
But what I really want is the fat, dry, carveable, sandable pith for making trotting and pole floats.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I should imagine the pith alone would be very brittle Alan,would it be any use useing twigs of thin diameter for such as pole floats?
I have never tried carveing it.
I also gave mine a coat of white before the final finnish, the colurs stayed pretty good.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Bullrush stems (or the stems of that very tall grass that grows around lakes) are good when they dry out too

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Oh, it's fragile, but it can be carved with a sharp blade, and sandpapered with ease. By sharp, I mean brand-new scalpel or single-edged razor blade. The pith-bodied crow-quill avon is a retro classic.
I don't think I made myself clear about the colours - I didn't mean paint, but the natural colour, the hope being that a stick taken now would stay green for summer use - might be really good for controllers - while the autumn brown would do for the rest of the year.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

thats the stuff ---but not from Norfolk

this must be Cheshire Reed