CHUB.

• Thread starter ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)
  • Start date
E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

The still water barbel debate seems to have run its course for the time being.

We have now got the SBS (Stillwater Barbel Society)in place.

Dont you think that Chub, being that they are basically a river fish,should be treated the same way.

Are they inferior to Barbel as no-one gets upset about them being stocked into still waters.
If it is wrong for barbel to be in still waters isnt it wrong for chub to be there too ??

T

The Digital Monkey

Is it right that chub dont breed in still water

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would say it is wrong Ed.
Never mind the scientific clap trap that says chub do okay in still waters,they are are a river fish and that's all I need to know.

T

The Digital Monkey

Ive only caught 2 still water chub of aprox 4lb very pale no fight.Like Baz said leave them in the rivers.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Or,should they be brought into the auspices of the SBS and then we could re-name the SBS as the SCABS (Stillwater Chub And Barbel Society)

Can you imagine being a member of the SCABS--or would that be a 'sore'point ?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I'm not too uncomfortable with it.

Wheras Barbel appear to be stocked into muddy pool that are overstocked with everything else, Chub seem to really prosper when stocked at low levels. They grow big, appear to be almost exclusively predatory. On top of this they are a difficult proposition. My best guess is that Chub are comfortable in still water, wheras I guess Barbel are not.

H

Herr General Swordsy

If the lake/ressie is stream fed they will breed, Dam flask has had a self sustaing population of chub for almost 30 years, they have been stocked as well but there is a core stock that is wild and very large.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
They do well in the canals local to me and have done for many years, so I assume they're breeding.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Thge point I was about to make Matt. I susprct Chub are more adaptable than Barbel.7lbers are rumoured in my local pound of the Grand Union.

I dont see the clamour for stillwater stocking of Chub so the issue is not as topical.

Where Chub are in stillwaters, they appear to have been there for many years & indeed thrive,if I dare use the word, as per Peter Stones capture of what was an enormous chub of 7lb 4oz(?) from an Oxfordshire gravel pit in the eighties.A fish I believe he ranked as one of his most satisfying.

R

Robin Higgins

"as per Peter Stones capture of what was an enormous chub of 7lb 4oz(?) from an Oxfordshire gravel pit in the eighties."

Or indeed Rob Tough's current record....

Robin

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
I think the evidence suggests that chub do quite well in pits and canals but I'd much rather catch them from the river.

I'm not sure if I would bother to target still water chub but have no problem that others do.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If chub are the voracious eaters they are supposed to be,(which they are) wouldn't there be a danger of them eating roach and other smaller species out of house and home so to speak in a stillwater environment?
I would assume they would have a simmilar affect as what overstocking with carp would have.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Fair point Robin I'd forgotten about that fish but Stoneys for its time really was a monster.

What I was trying to get across was that Chub have a history of doing well in stillwaters going back some time.

I wonder what Stoneys fish might have weighed if it had the benfit of a boilie diet.

Looking at the ACA story on low flows and the state of the River Lee by my office in Hertford it looks as if both barbel & chub had better get used to stillwater this summer.