What happend to rod hutchinson????

dan2802

Reaction score
I have seen loads of things sayin that he is back on the rods and loads of people say oh i used to use this and what not and you cant get it anymore so what happened any info would be great thanks

keora

Reaction score
He's just published a new book on carp fishing, I saw it in Waterstones last week.

noknot

Reaction score
Here he is:::::::::

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX_Yjm3UqCc"]YouTube - Rod Hutchinson DVD "Back on the Rods" - PB 63.5lb (28.8kilo)[/ame]

bigchub

Reaction score
I have seen loads of things sayin that he is back on the rods and loads of people say oh i used to use this and what not and you cant get it anymore so what happened any info would be great thanks

When I spoke to Rod last year and we exchanged a few letters it seems that he has officially retired and that he only fishes for pleasure now. He also sold the company and name as well.

dezza

Reaction score

Glad to see that this icon of carp fishing is still fishing. I have used a few of his flavours for species of fish other than carp, and they certainly work.

Last edited:

noknot

Reaction score
Glad to see that this icon of carp fishing is still fishing. I have used a few of his flavours for species of fish other than carp, and they certainly work.
Indeed a real legend within Carp angling! Don't forget Scopex, that has caught a few Carp over the years, Oh and by the way, welcome back Ron.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
They used to have a copy of quest for carp in my local library when I was a nipper.Exellent book read it many times.
I think this is were I read about the half a day battle with an unknown leviathan from the deep.On Cassien if I remember right .

Lark

Reaction score
A great thinking angler is Rod Hutchinson, especially in his approach to winter carp fishing.
I caught my pb carp (39lb 4oz) on one of his 1.75lb 12ft barbel rods in 1994.
8lb Maxima straight through - beautiful action.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
They used to have a copy of quest for carp in my local library when I was a nipper.Exellent book read it many times.
I think this is were I read about the half a day battle with an unknown leviathan from the deep.On Cassien if I remember right .

'Quest for Carp' was by Jack Hilton, 1972. 'Carp - Now and Then' was a late 1980's reprint of 'Rod Hutchinson's Carp Book' (itself very rare) with chapter updates, and I think the Cassien catfish battle was included in that. One of those stories that stick in the mind!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
.....like the bit in'Quest for Carp' where Jack Hilton sees a carp of mamouth proportions pass under his punt(?)....sort of 4' long(ish)whilst gliding around Redmire.....I never get tired of reading that passage but I still cannot get my head around it just the same!!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Fred so what was the book I read, now and then as I would like to read it again? fantastic it all seemed such an adventure for me in my childhood .A bit like a scott of the Antarctic almost ,off into the unkown for weeks at a time ,It really did enspire me but I never took up Carping with bivvies until very recently.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Fred so what was the book I read, now and then as I would like to read it again? fantastic it all seemed such an adventure for me in my childhood .A bit like a scott of the Antarctic almost ,off into the unkown for weeks at a time ,It really did enspire me but I never took up Carping with bivvies until very recently.

I'm pretty sure the catfish story is in 'Carp - Now And Then', though it's certainly been published elsewhere; I just can't remember where!

Carping with bivvies - that's a new one. Never found them essential myself, though I won't deny they make a rainy, windy night session more bearable. If it's calm and dry I prefer an ordinary brolly.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Cheers Fred your a good un.
Too much to carry with modern carping and getting out of bed for a carp in the night proved to be a chore really,found myself winding in .
Its getting a lake that suits the old style methods well its much more enjoyable fishing at close range ala yates and wilson stylee. But the sound of alarm screeching does get the blood going I must admit.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Cheers Fred your a good un.
Too much to carry with modern carping and getting out of bed for a carp in the night proved to be a chore really,found myself winding in .
Its getting a lake that suits the old style methods well its much more enjoyable fishing at close range ala yates and wilson stylee. But the sound of alarm screeching does get the blood going I must admit.

I know how you feel. I have two excellent syndicate lakes at my disposal, but I hardly ever fish them as they both require lengthy sessions to win the carp's confidence and - try as I might - these days I can't survive two days and nights on the bank without at least one good meal inside me. Thus I find myself carting around stoves and pans and water and all manner of other contraptions in addition to the basic tackle, bedchair, brolly (or shelter if it's looking like rain) and so on. I long for the simplicity of roving about on the river with a rod, net and a few bits in my pockets.

Mind you, I do enjoy settling in by the lake for a long session, watching the sun set without feeling that urgency of time running out that so often spoils the end of a day trip, and waking up at first light to watch the world come to life without the same rush to cast out. And when the Delkim goes off at three in the morning with who knows what on the other end...

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Could not agree more Fred ,seems we have similar fishing needs .Its so varying the reasons why people go fishing and I cannot find a reason to fault any .

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Could not agree more Fred ,seems we have similar fishing needs .Its so varying the reasons why people go fishing and I cannot find a reason to fault any .

It's all fishing. As long as I've got a bait (or fly) in the water I'm happy.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I like your second paragraph Fred..sort of sets the scene.......I had such a day today-racing down the Marlow by-pass with the commuters before 7am to reach the lake then,on arrival finding it was too dark to set-up properly(of latter years=failing eyesight!)so wound down with a cup of tea.....
Missed a guide when setting up the rod so started again....this followed by the sound of banging produced by a chappie bringing his rod rest to the correct level above ground...I hope he didn't think me rude for not speaking when he came round to chat....

Decided to use that age old method of 'laying on' as I could swing my bait under a tree and among the roots and still watch a float....worked well as three wild carp came to the net-two of which just before I HAD to pack up......nice day though.......

ps I also have a private lake at my disposal-its 12' in diameter and sits in my garden....and totally fishless!!

pps I must look into these 'syndicate waters'........sort of smallish with large tench/roach/ would do nicely(frequented by hammerless fishermen a necessity).....

Yes,a 'must' for next season I'm thinking...perhaps the Government offer help with this-after all I am a pensioner!!

Last edited:

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
I've got half these classic books and I pick them up now and re read them all the time ( I am tight).

Tee Cee your quotes of Fred almost sound like a book of Cloughy quotes, loved it.