The Animal Rights 2001 Conference

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's a long report but well worth reading. If anyone has any doubts about the warped thinking of these people then I think this should convince them.

They are terrorists representing animals, but the sad truth is that they are doing no one, especially animals, any favours.

Before anyone jumps on the animal rights bandwagon they should read this book by Roger Scruton, who is neither a hunter or fisher:

<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=r&UAN=1033>Animal Rights And Wrongs</A>

R

Ron Clay

I would like all people who oppose UK anglers joining up with the CA to read this report and Roger Scruton's book.

Even anglers who say "we put them back" should be well aware of what may confront us all in future. I think its important that you published this report on FM Graham.

D

Davy North

Graham is dead right these nutters do animals no favours. The sad fact that in the report there are many issues that I and many others may think valid, but become devalued because of these extreamists.

All these people seem to achive is to polarise opinion. They would have people believe anyone who fishes is a blood thirsty killer. On the other hand through their actions they give the public the image that anyone who is a vegan, or opposes cruelty to animals is a right nutter.

Life's not like that, I don't have a problem with people holding differnt views to myself, but when they try to impose them, or blow people up,I do!

K

Kevan Farmer

Besides the totally misinformed ideas about angling these people are actually wrong about some aspects of animal vivisection. I'm not going to go into detail as this is not the right place for it. To get back on the angling track, we need some way of fighting back. At the moment the most dangerous faction to us are PETA. What happened to the database of acts to counter PETA's and other animal rights activists claims? Is there anyway we can boycott supporters of PETA? Perhaps a list of celebrities who help fund them might help, their films etc could be boycotted. I don't know if it is feasible but could we have a joint effort between us and our American fellow anglers? For the record, Dame Judi Dench is a staunch supporter of PETA, who else is?

R

Rodney Wrestt

The frightening thing about this report is the conviction these people have with no regard for scientific evidence. The way they march on and when told others views differ from their own they are added to a list of enemies, and the way they collect their numbers by joining other demonstrations (which they have no conviction for) in return for numbers in their own demos. These people are sending info packs to schools and campaining in every media they can arouse interest or get members within. As the report states to sit back and say "I don't use that or do that in my field of the sport will eventually divide and see the sport conquered. I have seen letters and reports about these groups not being a threat, too many jobs, too much income for the government in taxes and licences, this is what the gun enthusiasts thought, then Mr Blair changed all that overnight. The dividing does not only occur in fishing as when the campainers are out trying to gain public support with the morphed and edited photos, they fail to tell the pettition signers that if they have a cat, dog goldfish, hamster, budgie or any other domestic animal or if you watch dog / horse races, fly pigions we'll be comming for you next. Some other rich and famouse supporters are Richard Gere, Catherine Zeta Jones, Briteny Speirs, Jodey Foster.:-(

D

Davy North

Just a daft point, but in the report there is a mention of bumper stickers, supporting vegan, animal rigts etc. Bumper stickers would mean our "friends drive cars, and apart from the pollution they chug out, animals killed by cars would far out number the ones killed by hunters.

Like I said just a point.

K

Kevan Farmer

Well spotted Davy. That's a little more ammo we can use in our favour. As long as we stick to facts we may gain some ground.

N

nick pottle

hi,
i had never been a hardend fisherman untill the early 80s when i became disabled, if it was`nt for fishing i might just have topped myself,(people i know might say i wish he had)this sport was a life saver. these bloody yanks are cranks, man was a born hunter and has been since the world began and these idiots will not change it, this yank want`s thowing out of this country for inciteing trouble.the problem is the yanks cant win wars on there own, so they have to try something else, everything that comes out of america is bad for everybody, they will of course rule the world one day, they are all round the twist.there thats got it of my chest for now. see ya.
nick

K

Kevan Farmer

Hmm, Nick I know what it's like to get badly depressed when you suddenly become depressed. At the moment I'm so bad I cannot go fishing. hopefully this will change soon.