Are You Ready?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It?s the 16th on Thursday.
At the moment I feel completely disorganised. I have spent a couple of months tenching, using different methods and tactics.
As usual, I think it will take me a couple of visits to get back into the mode of river fishing. Does anybody else have this problem, or will you be able to carry on as though you have not had a break from the rivers? It could be that I am suffering from panic attacks in anticipation of the 16th.
Up to now, I will be happy to catch one or two chub on my first visit, and then I will be able to plan what to do for the rest of the season.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I'm the same Baz, but there's still 3 and a bit days to go so I'm going to have a few beers and relax. It'll come right on the day.
A couple of decent chub or a few nice roach will do me for the first day.

Milo

Reaction score
I'm probably further behind than you are Baz! I've not even bought my cards yet and I'm still doing masses of overtime for projects at work. I'm planning a trip to my tackle shop with a nice shopping list quite soon though!

I'm really looking forward to finishing a couple of hours earlier and spending the rest of the afternoon and evening on the bank.

As for being able to carry on after a break from the rivers, this year will be my first fishing them. Up until now I've fished stillwaters and canals. I was going to pop-up for the last fish-in on the Ribble but I couldn't make it. Hopefully I'll be able to turn out this year...

Good luck Baz :)

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thank goodness for that lads. For a moment I thought I was looseing interest, or begining to regret not being able to snatch any more cards off the stillwater anglers.
What we need is a good chub thread to get us all back fully in the swing of things.
One thing new for me is that at last I was able to get hold of some 6lb Krystonite for the mainline. I am a bit wary of what hooklink material to use though. Once I am settled with what to use, I think I will be spending time watching the reactions of the chub when possible, to see if the krystonite does make any difference.
I was talking to a good carp angler the other evening, who was useing krystonite for the first time. He said that he was deffinately getting more bites, but was suffering from snapping off.
Things are looking up for the new season already, after only a couple of postings, let's talk chub again.

G

Ged

I can never decide exactly what I need for the coming season. Try as I might, I always end up not getting something or miss doing something. The things I miss, I end up doing when out which then takes up valuble fishing time.
This year seams to be no different.
Replaced main line, but what hook lengths?

Steve Hall

Reaction score
Im just about there Baz, just a bit of tweaking on a couple of new rigs im trying out and cooking a few pints of hemp, I know when it comes to about the fifteenth ill think of no end of things i need to do, its sods law i suppose, anyway good luck for the start to everyone having a crack on the rivers and looking forward to reading how people will be getting on in the first few days of new season, cheers

alan strickland

Reaction score
Not even close yet Baz,like you my gear has been switched over to tench last few month so its going to need good sorting.
Problem i found last year was everytime i tried sorting it out so it would be lighter i ended adding stuff to it and making it heavier.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Up to now I have one rod ready set up, that will be okay for any barbel that may be about.
I just need to sort some hooklinks out now, and that should be it??

Jason Speck 2

Reaction score
All done now,just need some new batteries for the torch and that's it.

A mate is joining me for his first midnight start.I can't wait.

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
I'm all kitted up and ready for the 16th, have been for a week. Re-spooled all my reels last weekend and stocked up on a variety of bits n bobs that I was running low on. My bait has arrived and all I need to do is knock up a bit of paste as and when required. I've got butterflies in my stomach at the prospect gettin' out on a river again, even after 30 years of fishing that feeling of excitement/anticipation never diminishes.

Good luck to all.

T

The Digital Monkey

All I can say is good luck to you all you lucky f**kers.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Sort of ready, the hemp is cooked! The freezer is brimming with the stuff. My girlfriend really cant understand why I need that much, neither can my house mate.

that reminds me, I put some casters in a re sealable bag in my fridge a few weeks ago, un bekonwn to me there was a fluro pinkie in with them. the girlfriend looked in the fridge and I got a,

what the hell are they?

There just casters, they cant wriggle or anything there fine.

Then a what the hell is that?

As she noticed the aforementiond pinkie which was now crawling around in the salad draw! Oops!

R

Robert Woods 1

Baz,
I've put new line on reels, cleaned rods and spent ages cuting tackle down to fit a small B&Q box. Just going to take two sizes of hooks etc.. Definatly going to keep gear and weight down even leaving spare flask of tea at home so you cannot have one...!!!

Bob.

Y

yoggy

Baz,I"ve literally just finished putting new line on my spools,Krystonite in 6lb!!,i"ve yet to use this in 6lb but if its like the 12lb i tried it should be good stuff,,i"m off chubbing on the ouse and i"m really looking forward to it,despite all the fors and against the close season you cant ignore the excitment it brings....i"m like a kid with a new toy!!!....good luck to everyone.

M

Mark Hodson

Everything is ready but can't decide where to go, I can go trotting on the severn, stalking on the teme, lure fishing on the Warks Avon or go tench fishing on some lakes that still impose a close season. The severn's on top at the moment but it may come down to tossing a coin !

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yoggy,
I'm trying 6lb krystonite for the first time,and I'm thinking of going straight through with it to the hook. What are you doing? are you useing a hooklink? if so what? if you don't mind me asking.

Y

yoggy

Baz,i"ve just ordered some WB Clarke line in 4lb,5lb,6lb,i understand that this is a very good hooklength line i spoke to a bloke the other day who used to match fish at county level,but now concentrates on the speci side of things,he highly recommended this line as did Andy nellist in another forum.But i will try going straight through to the hook also,regards

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks mate,
I haven't got full confidence in the hooklink I was useing, just yet.
Straight through was always less hassle.
I'll see if I can't get some of this WB Clarke line, although I haven't heard of it before.

When there are barbel and chub in the swim, it's always handy to be able to step up or down. But now I have two rods set up for each eventuality. For me, that's progress.

Y

yoggy

Baz,No problem,to be honest mate,hooklengths have always been a thorn in my side!!.I rarely seem to be 100% satisfied with whatever i"m using at the time.For my Barbel fishing i tend to use fluro hooklengths these days as i tend to get on with it better than anything else!!.But saying this i havn"t settled on a particular brand yet!!.Since my last post i"ve spoken to an angler who used to match fish on the Ouse around Bedford,he was and still is a fan of WB Clarke line stating for the diameter it was the strongest and supple lines he"d used...so who am i to argue??I Was given this telephone number for the line so if you"d like to try it give em a bell.....01293-529122......or email......jackfrost@jfonline.co.uk..cheers mate.