Hemp

E

EC

There are a few ways that have worked for me mate!

1. Soak, say for 24 hrs then bring to boil, then simmer until the majority of the seeds split!

2. For smaller amounts, soak again, then place in a vacuum flask and top up with boiling water, seal, and 12 hours later happy days!

E

EC

For 2 I should say, drain the water you have soaked the seeds in before placing seeds in flask!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I don't soak it, I just bung it in a big pan, bring to the boil cover it and simmer for a few hours or until most of the seeds have opened.

I also save the water they were cooked in, let it cool down then put it in an old coke bottle or something. Take it fishing and add it to your groundbait, it works for me!

Steve

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Dave, why use salt? I've tried sugar and bicarb of soda (in with tares to make them go black)but not salt.

E

EC

I find that soaking it makes it split quicker doggie, cheaper on the fuel, I remember as a lad boiling a batch for about 4hours, the house smelled like a bong house!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I think it smells gurt lush!( the missus hates it ) and the smell provokes my fishing instincts, haha

F

Frothey

what tastes better - chips with or without salt?

most baits seem to work for me better with salt in them, there are some chemical reasons why to use salt in some amino type baits, lots of additives (like Nam Pla, minamino, belachan to name a few) have salt in their make up.......

E

EC

No salt on mine, although I take your point Dave!

One other thing Jonny, keep the water you boil the hemp in, boss additive to groundbait!

T

The Digital Monkey

If you can get a burco boiler you can cook a lot in one go but they r not cheap

W

Welsh Goff

Bicarb, do it make a difference never used it myself.
I got 10 pints soaking since last night, just interested how much bicarb you would use.

njb51

Reaction score
Cheers for the replies guys! Helpful as always!

The hemp shall be used for baiting up a few swims over the next few months. Got enough of it!!

Boiled some up earlier and got a few pints on soak now.

Could i add Molasses to it while its boiling??or would this stain the pan? What about when its soaking??

Cheers!

E

EC

I have used molasses on corn, maize, as a glug for boilies and pellets, and to bind a method mix together Jon!

I have never used it for hemp as I have confidence in the smell of the hemp as it is already, without adding anything else!

F

Frothey

put trout pellet in the water after its cooled down if you want somw more attration - lovely "soup" created

J

jason fisher

40 pint breewing barrel, heater element, fill barrel half full with water then 1/4 hemp/ leave to steep for a week, this way you get smell of fresh cooked hemp for a week, and with a bit of luck wife will leave leaving you more time to fish.