Bad news - Good news

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Bad news about low river levels and the possibility of pollution.

Good news that the ACA is issuing warnings AND actually telling us all about it.

Well done the ACA!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Yes good stuff.

Of course the worse aspect of all this is that the lower the resevoirs get then the greater the water volumes companies seek to abstract from the rivers.

I would hope the ACA will be active in oppsing such applications.

I fear this summer is going to be a difficult one.

W

Wolfman Woody

Here?s and illustration of low river levels, well, this is a local stream at least.

It?s the Hughenden Stream as it was
that flows into the River Wye that then flows into the Thames. This part is below Hughenden Church on land (I believe) once owned by the Earl of Beaconsfield, Benjamin Disraeli. It?s now owned by the National Trust who do NOT allow fishing on it at all!!!

That?s the pity, because if the did allows anglers to fish it, we could sue Thames Water for loss of amenity. This is caused by abstraction, water which is then sold to Londoners mostly. Not that I would deny them water, but all in moderation, please!

Look at the pictures from the winter of 2004 and as it is now . This is another view
and the dog (Logan) would normally be drowning here. A trout hatchery was installed by the EA at the waterfall to introduce brown trout into the stream.

M

madpiker

so the environment agency are warning us about the dangers of low water levels in our rivers.they didn`t seem to be too bothered about it on the somerset levels last winter.they opened the sluice gates on several rivers and drains during a brief period of high water levels,but despite one of the driest winters in memory,with rivers almost at summer levels,they left the gates open all winter.resulting in exremely low water levels and low ground water levels.stable door,horse and bolted are words that spring to mind.apparently,they closed them again in late march,when they were expecting drier weather!!!!!!!!!!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

For goodness sake let's hope it buckets it down all summer.

Anyone who complains should be admonished big style.

I am looking forward to a cool wet summer and to catching lots of fish.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Ron, on my last post about the hose-pipe ban you were complaining!

So can I admonish you big style?

M

madpiker

just a normal summer will suit me fine,no exreme hot weather and no extreme storms either!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Steve,

You can do what you like with me. I have got bloody big shoulders.

J

john ledger

A few years ago i reported a local farmer for abstracting water from the tiny river Roach which flows into the river Ryton which in turn flows into the Idle. The farmer in question was pumping water 18 hours a day and when i questioned him was abusive and asked if i would pay ?10 for a bag of potatoes,i told him i would pay ?20 to put him out of business. He asked what i knew about river levels to which i replied he was not only creating problems with the levels on three river but causing problems for the wildlife. He was later fined but hardly enough for the damage he had done.
Any farmer using the old licence to abstract water can take as much as they want and will do so even when its raining. The ones using the new licence will make sure they get what they pay for even if they do not need it. Realise they have to make a living but a bit of common would go a long way.
Add to the farmers then we have the household with the dishwasher washing machines etc which most of us never had in the sixties. When you think that most old washing machines use up to 70gallon for the full wash its no wonder water is on the decline.
Houses built on floodplanes and culvets overgrown Houston we have a problem

J

john ledger

Sorry the river is the Roche and not the Roach as i stated. Should have known better as i only live 800yds from it