Fishing Clear Rivers

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A very timely reminder indeed Graham.
This was something I had only given a little thought to. Especially the rods and leads.

J

James Townsend

I've noticed that many reel manufacturers are tending to go with polished aluminium spools, a good example is the Daiwa Regal 2550BR that I've just bought for the new season. A great free spool reel, ideal for chub/barbel but why the shiny metal? Although it made me twinge a little to do it, the first thing I did after getting it out the box was to scuff up the polished spool with emery cloth and take the silver sticker off the plastic second spool. Any ideas why the manufactures do this? It must be to catch us in the tackle shop and not our intended quarry I reckon.
I?ll find out at about 4.30am tomorrow if the reel performs as well as I think it will.
Tight lines to all on the bank tomorrow.

S

Steve King

I think that the shiny reels were primarily intended for the US market (but perhaps I'm cynical!).

I agree with Graham, leads and lines make a huge difference on clear waters like the Teme. I dry out a handfull of earth and then coat my leads in Araldite and dunk them in the dried earth. Superglue can be used in a hurry but doesn't last as long.

Fluorocarbon hook lengths are worthwhile as are braids similar in colour to the riverbed.

W

Wolfman Woody

Ah well, leave the bling-bling at home, I guess. I like the new reels, but you're right about them not being ideal in daylight clear water conditions.

I'll be alright with my camouflaged sunglasses, I reckon. I had a rod like that once where it had been glossed with resin. Take it down with wire wool and if you want a sheen (not a shine) polish it with Brasso or other metal polish.

R

Robert Woods 1

When there is a lack of bankside cover why don't we put our brolly up-instant bush. I read sonewhere before pole fishing took off matchmen used to put brollys up so that fish could not see them in clear canals.

M

madpiker

bright shiny leads will soon go dull if you leave them in vinegar.

fishface

Reaction score
just aswell i was reading that article as the river medway should be pretty clear, it hasnt rained since tuesday here!