Line problems

hix

Reaction score
I've just started fishing and i bought some 6lb line.After i cast with it the line goes 'baggy' between reel and rod tip,so when i secure the bail arm and try to wind it in,knots start to form.This doesnt happen with my 3lb line.
Why could this be?
Paul

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
I fear you maybe suffering from line twist
it happens sometimes,you may need to remove
the line and reload it.(i was going to try
and explain why the line twists but it like
trying to explain the off-side rule , the
harder you try the more complicated it will
sound)so i'll suggest that you do a search
of the messages as there as been loads on
this subject as its a common occourance .
and that you might want to readthis article

sam johnson

Reaction score
what size storm poles will i need for the jrc roamer dome, 26",36" or 48".

M

MarkTheSpark

Interesting post, Sam. What's that got to do with Hix filling his spool with fresh line?

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Hix, the reason for line twist has everything to do with; how you filled the reel in the first place; and what spinners you fished with afterwards. Don't let anyone tell you the bail arm line roller has anything to do with it.

I'm sure there's an article on FM somewhere but I can't find it. In essence, the best method of loading line is to have the new line spool stuck to the floor, side on, such that the revolving bail arm peels line off the edge of the spool in the same direction it's travelling. So if it's going anti-clockwise, the line must be coming off the spool in the same way, when viewed from above. In essence, what's happening is that the line gets half a turn of twist each time a coil comes off the spool, but then the reel undoes the half a turn by winding it on again.

BarryC

Reaction score
Another sure way to put twist in is to play a largish fish with the clutch to slack so that the spool still turns when you reel in.

I beleive there is a bit of kit known as an anti kink lead that you cast out and reel in to remove twist. Never used one myself but I am sure someone on here will have lets hope they see this post and reply.