centrepin problem

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
Hi i have just bought a leeds centrepin and i have used it for the first time today, but when i cast the float in to the water the line didnt run of the reel. It is a 5 inch reel and i have loaded it with 100 yards of 2.5 pound maxima line. this is the first time ive used a centrpin could anybody give me any advice on why the line wont run off. thanks

W

Wolfman Woody

Explain a little more Gareth, please?

Do you expect line to pay off during the cast?
-or -
Is the reel not paying off line once the tackle is in the current?

Just a point - you don't need 100 yards of line on a centrepin. Fifty yards is generally sufficient otherwise it can bed in.

If you like the reel, you can buy the factory. Mr Lewthwaite says it is time to hang up his hat and is selling the bsuiness lock, stock, and barrel.

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
Woody
Its when the tackle is in the current that im having the problem the reel spins freely enough when i pull the line off and its ok when i feather the line out with my hand but as soon as i leave it for the current the reel stops . I have fished on the trent at Newark (Bobs island/the old scrapyard) in quite shallow but fast water and spoke to a guy who had fished the centrepin before, he told me the reel seemed to run free enough but couldnt tell me what the problem was. As you can probably tell this is all totally new to me but is something i have always wanted to try so any advice you can give me would be great.
The reel ive got is brand new do i need to oil or grease it?
I tried a number of different weight stick floats but none would pull the line off.
Is the line ive put on ok in terms of size and make? do you think i should take some more line of the reel?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

This may sound silly but ..Have you loaded it onto the reel in the right direction

E

and coming off from the bottom of the reel

E

possibly --
Is the line bedding in ??
As Woody said you only need about 50 yds of line ....

E

Was there enough flow to pull your float through ---
Were you fishing too far overdepth and you were catching on the bottom ?

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
There was a good flow and i was not to far over depth i ended up fishing with a fixed spool and didnt encounter any problems. I think i might take the line off the reel and reload it with 50yds as you have both said. Any other ideas/tips? Should i try a little bit of oil?

B

Barry Edney

Check the drag, it could be that its too tight. I had this problem on my Youngs and I done the same as you, I cursed the centre pin and got the fixed spool out. It turned out that the drag was done up too tight. I loosened the drag as much as I could and haven't had that problem since.

Another of Woody's tips is to run the reel in at home, e.i. while you're watching telly spin the reel for about half hour. I do this now the night before I use mine. (everytime) A drop of light oil wouldn't go amiss either.

As for lines..... I don't like Maxima for float fishing. I prefer something floating like Drennan Floatfish.

B

Barry Edney

Also...... you could try a float that takes more shot. A big Avon float or a Loafer will take line alot easier than a light stick float.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
If the reel spins freely, but the rig won't pull, it has to be the rod rings- check you didn't miss any while tackling up, and check they're not damaged and rough - especially the tip. Chromed rings can groove, and lined rings can crack, so take a magnifier to all of them. Trying with another rod would be a quick way to see if that is the site of the problem.

How "free" is free-spinning? Try putting shot on the end of the line hanging from the reel to make it start turning. Your model should pay out to 2 or3 no.6, most true pins need about 1 BB. More than 2BB indicates a problem. Being a ball-bearing reel, it shouldn't need running-in, but LIGHT oil won't hurt (sewing machine/hair clipper type. NOT 3-in-1!

M

madpiker

light oil,have you tried the "rocket fuel" for making multiplier reel bearings run more freely?it`s available in the sea section of most tackle shops.

R

Robin Higgins

I've got a Leeds pin and, if yours is anything like mine, then it should run smooth as you like. I'd go for the bigger floats for a start - I use a 2 swan loafer as standard and have never had any problems.

The shot test would also be a good one to diagnose any problems.

Good luck with it - hope you work it out as there is nothing better than catching good fish when trotting with a pin.

Robin
ECHO

W

Wolfman Woody

Ok, things to check, but more or less repeats of soem of the above.

Take it out now and secure the end of the line with an elastic band or soemthing. Give it a spin as hard as you can whilst your holding it and time how long it spins for. It should spin for the best part of 1 minute, some of the best CPs will go for two minutes or more.

If it doesn't then can you take it apart and perhaps add a little light oil as Alan suggests. Check at the same time the balance of the spool, does it wobble or grind when you spin it?

Try again and as Barry said, play with it in your hands for half an hour or so (sounds rude that) by continuing to spin it. What you will do it disperse any excess grease in the bearings or contact points and mate any two surfaces together better. You should do this with all new reels, I've just done one now and it's improved ten fold since I recieved it this morning.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i`ve had a leeds centre pin for a few years now....never had any problems with it....line always pays off from it when trotting....i always use a bigger float than normal to ensure this and it has never hampered presentation or bite registration etc.....

R

Robin Higgins

"It should spin for the best part of 1 minute, some of the best CPs will go for two minutes or more. "

When I bought my Leeds I timed the spin at just over a minute and a half. If yours is significantly different to that you may have a problem.

J

john ledger

Trouble with the Leeds pin is that it over runs and 100yds is far too much. I have four pins from the Aerial to the Leeds and never use more than 30yds on any.
Does not matter which way you have the line coming off,the purist say from the bottom because the reel runs in a clockwise direction. Most of us Northern Anglers and i include Dave Thomas and Darren Cox always have the line off the top.
One tip i will give you is use 4lb line and scale down at the business end because spare spools for pins are expensive.

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
Took the reel to a local tackle shop to day and the guy there told me that there was a piece missing(spacer). I spoke to the guy at Lewtham and the guy there said he would send me one, he was very helpful and gave me loads of advice on fishing with a centrepin.I hope that this sorts the problem as the reel is a realy nice piece of kit and i cant wait to get fishing with it. Thanks for all the advice, i will let you know how i get on

P

Phil Heaton

One point to watch is that if the rod has large stand off rings and you are trying too hard to cast sometimes the line will wrap itself around the ring either side of where you pulled it from with your finger.