When Nature Wins

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I would like to hear all your stories of fishing when critters and animals have scuppered your plans of a peacful day.I have been hounded by rats ,cows ,horses moles yes moles, geese ,dogs ,,chased of on my canoe by swans with cygnets ,that was a close one I can tell you but delightfully funny and humbling.
so come on lets hear your tales of woe at the hands of mother nature.

richiekelly

Reaction score
i used to fish a syndicate water in northhamptonshire for carp,i had made plans to fish for 5 nights,on the morning after the first night i thought i would cook some breakfast,i rummaged around at the back of my bivvy lifted a bag up and underneath it was a snake about 2 feet long, i am terrified of snakes (i dont know why i have this irrational fear) and had to get someone to remove it after it was removed i left and never went back. the thought that it had come into my bivvy while i was sleeping was to much for me.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
ok

Please don't report me I was protecting my family

At Center Parcs a good few years ago my daughter was about 3 and enjoyed feeding a family of swans that came to the door.

One morning she was bending down to feed the young ones and I warned her not to get too close but she didn't listen to me (she's 16 now and still doesn't) I was watching the adult swans just in case when the male dropped his head opened his wings and went to bite my daughter - without thinking I kicked the swan's head to deflect it from biting my daughter - then all hell broke loose.

The male swan then reared back whilst the female took the young away and I shouted her Ladyship to get my daughter and her inside.

Then came the stand off neither the swan or I was prepared to back down and stood looking at each other - then suddenly I saw his head go back for a strike at me to I punched him in the head before could bite.

The swan fell back into a bush then staggered off - ok nature didn't get the best of me but my daughter did - she drew a picture in her school book showing my kicking the swan with the title "Daddy kicking a swan on holiday"

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
"The swan fell back into a bush then staggered off - ok nature didn't get the best of me but my daughter did - she drew a picture in her school book showing my kicking the swan with the title "Daddy kicking a swan on holiday"

Brilliant, that's had me howling..........

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Then came the stand off neither the swan or I was prepared to back down and stood looking at each other
You've been watching too many Clint Eastwood films whilst sipping the syrup. :) :) :)

Nature's never got the better of me. Well, there was one occasion when I was walking down to the Grand Union, I'd just turned onto the towpath on this wonderfully twilit morning with a ghostly mist hanging everywhere. I never heard it at all until a wing flapped past my ear only a foot or so away and a huge bird came into view, far too close for comfort. Scared the pants off me until I realised what had happened.

A heron sitting on a pipe running alongside the canal bridge had decided to take off in my direction. I had to sit a while, but the day went as per normal thereafter.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I do remember an incident now

In my 20's a group of us lad used to have a narrow boat holiday every year - it was a basic get away from the girlfriends/drinking all day holiday

on one holiday, having got the barge through one lock 3 of us decided to walk up the tow path to the next lock about a mile away and have it ready when the boat came through.

Part way along the tow path was a goat tethered to a post - the first one of us went past and then hit the goat on the head - result one angry goat.

The 2 remaining members of the lock party (me being one) tried to get past the goat for 10 minutes without success and much to the amusement of other water users.

In the end we jumped over the edge into a muddy field to get past the goat and made it back on board looking like the "Thing from the black lagoon"

Fred Blake

Reaction score
I've had the usual encounters with rats, mink, squitzels, snakes, badgers, foxes, deer, owls and the like, none of which have spoilt my day (or night) - quite the opposite, as I regard their presence as a sign I have been accepted into their domain. Ducks, geese, swans, coots and seagulls on the other hand have ruined many a session. The gulls take your baits as you fire them out, the coots and tufties pick up what little gets past the gulls off the bottom (and unhooking a coot is no fun, believe me). The swans chase the geese, the geese climb into your bivvy to get away from the swans and poo all over your sleeping bag, and the whole lot of 'em continually search out and destroy carefully-laid lines.

However, all of these pale into insignificance compared to my worst bankside enemy - cattle; sub-species bovine, male. I've been driven from more good barbel and chub swims than I care to count by the antics of these blasted things. One memorable afternoon I'd dearly love to forget involved walking backwards through two flooded and extremely treacherous fields, waving a landing net at half a dozen fully-grown bullocks intent on re-enacting Riverdance on my fragmented remains.

The net waving trick was a tip from another angler (strangely absent on that day) which, I can confidently say, didn't work. Nor did prodding them with the handle, shouting, arm waving or any number of other undignified strategies. I stopped short of trying BB's advice to 'roll around on the ground and make uncouth noises' - not because there was anyone looking, but because it was very wet, and I figured I was best served by remaining at least partially above the marauding beggars.

Of course, not all cattle are bad, but I am in complete agreement with Arthur Ransome, who declared that 'it is difficult to ascertain whether the cattle in question are good or bad without inviting so close an acquaintanship that the situation is difficult to remedy should they turn out not to be good ones.'

Last edited:

quickcedo

Reaction score
As a 12 year old i was taken to the Norfolk Broads for a holiday by my grandmother. As she was a soft touch I convinced her I was allowed to night fish alone. So we moored up in the middle of nowhere and out came the fishing gear. All was going well until in the early hours this shape cruised along half submerged it was heading straight for me, I froze as it climbed out of the water "Oh bother" (or words to that effect) I called out. It ignored my cries and proceded to help itself to my ground bait. It was a rat on steroids, it was huge! Now I don't mean big I mean 2ft long!! I sat there with my feet up near my chin for what seemed like hours. It finally left and I hurriedly packed up and went to bed. I had a very restless night untill I could take it no more, I got up only to find, I had packed up in such a hurry my bait box which I had thrown on the roof was open and all the maggots had crawled onto the roof falling off the side through the open window and into my bed!
When everyone else woke in the morning I told them of my encounter with the giant rat. To my amazement they all laughed and told me there were quite a few Coypu around the Broads. I didn't night fish any more that week!
Nature one Mark nil.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I've had a bat take my bait as I was about to cast and i've had a heron dive down and snatch a perch off my hook as I was playing it.

Colin North the one and only

Reaction score
I was fishing on the Kent Stour when two rats stole my hook wallet before skedaddling along the footpath as fast as the could on their moutain bikes. Not the furry kind of rats, of course.

cam clearie

Reaction score
i was not fishing but was on my way fishing .a herd of bullocks came charging across a field .my rod went over a barbed wire fence and so did my chair .that was a mistake i could of used those to defend myself .they had me pushed up against the fence and the barbed wire would of cut me if i didnt have a rucksack on .out of desperation i punched the bullock in front of me right on his nose he didnt like that so i did it again and he backed up and there i was screaming who wants some come on then ...i laugh about it now but i was quite scared.I WENT OVER THE FENCE AND CONTINUED UP THE BANK .What happened next still has me amazed .i was then attacked by a female phesant ....i kid you not she made herself as big as she could and was very vocal .evertime i tried to step forward she was giving it large.in the end i had to detour around her for fear of her launching herself at my face.FIFTY YARDS UP THE BANK AND A HUGE TREE DECIDED TO FALL DOWN RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME .i COULDNT GET PAST THE TREE SO CALLED THE FISHERY MANAGEMENT ..i WENT HOME ...

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I have had my groundbait stolen by a mouse, and my hookbait stolen by a fox. While at the bankside. And with photos showing the culprits. It's published in thread called "Theft!!" in the Coarse Fishing part of this forum. In january this year I think. I don't know how to link to it.

Here it is:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/coarse-fishing/43301-theft.html

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

This one would not leave me or my bait alone:

ISaidFOOD.jpg

flightliner

Reaction score
Two years ago I was doing a lot of fishing on the upper witham- the route to my bit of river was thro a farmyard and then entering a field. On one particular day I had just emptied my boot of tackle when out of nowhere up jumps a goat and makes itself comfortable. No amount of coaxing could get the brute out-- in the end I had to fetch the farmer. Bloody awful creatures!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Thanks lads I thought there would be a few good tales.
I once used to fish a canal in the middle of nowere at night for tench ,it had va mudbank upon which I used to sit on my unhooking mat .Anyway one night after a glass of wine or two I felt the earth beneath me literally MOVE ,now I have seen Zombie films and by crikey thats what I feared .
Anyway it stopped and I thought god Gav you big blubberer get on with it man.So carry oN I did till the earth literally started moving in front of my eyes literally two foot in front of me I froze EXPECTING A ROTTING HAND TO APPEAR and it was a bloomin mole.

matthew barter

Reaction score
I was fishing in Yellowstone last month. Myself and my brother got charged by a fired up stag Elk in the middle of the rut. Once we'd got to a safe distance we watched a fantastic show of these seven foot tall stags fighting. The winner broke one of its five foot plus antlers. Really awesome. It was just great.

However on the same trip I pestered my brother into a two night back country hike up the Lamar valley. We had only got twenty minutes from the car when we met some fellow back country hikers on the way back in. One of them was fine, two were a bit shaken and the other was grey and looked like they had just witnessed a murder. They had just been charged by a male Grizzly TWICE.

Well I can tell you I didn't like it. I made it to the back country site and slept the night but the next day after only a couple of hours of fishing I had to beg my brother to walk out that day. Fortunately he could see how little I was enjoying myself and agreed.

Problem was on the walk back to the car we had to detour because there was a bear sleeping next to a carcass from the night before. I say detour but my brother wouldn't go round and we had to walk along the trail with the "Bear Hazard" signs so that he could try and see it!!! We could see all the wildlife watchers a quater of a mile away watching us through there scopes.

The beer back at the car was the best I've ever had and I've drunk quite a few. Never did see that bear.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Itook the family to Paighton zoo a few years back and walking thru on large "Glass House" that had all kinds of plants and lizard ect there was a sign saying that around the next corner was a male bird (can't remeber what kind) that came out when anyone walked along the path and made a display to frighten peopel away from it's territory butr did not attack

So we walked round and out came the bird - fluffed himslef up big and screetched at us then as we walked passed he when back

Given the number of folks that must walk thru there every day he must ahve been knackered once the tourist season was over

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
Last thursday evening feeling dejected and peed off with work , this is about 3.30 pm my wife said why dont you take yourself down to your fav swim and try to catch a chub or 2 , well i aint got no bait and i,m not going all the way up to the shop to get maggits ,so i said i will call into the local garage and grab a loaf of bread. This i did and got to my parking space by the factories where my little river is, unloaded and tackled up a rod so as not to scare me chub. Walked to the swim with me BREAD and there were 6 ducks sitting in me swim. Now did i fish that evening or did i go home and the third question is was i more peed off and dejected than before.Such is life.