The River Trent

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
Gonna be night fishing the trent (around Newark)on Monday night, can any body give me any reports on where to go/not to go, any decent catches etc cheers in advance

J

john ledger

Try it at the A1 pits Gareth
Plenty of barbel above Crankley Point towards sunken barge near Piscatorials water. Also plenty of big chub infact its good for every aspect of fishing,me i would run a stick float through it but i suspect you fancy the barbel,you need strong tackle

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
Cheers John we usualy fish that area, but find it to busy near sunken barge so fish further down towards bridge. You get the odd barbel and also some good bream and carp. Have you heard any reports from this season yet( i know its early)? Hows Smeatons or the island in Newark fishing?

J

john ledger

Fished Red house on Dyke a few times last year and bagged up on hemp and tares with a few chub to 4lb8oz.
Just come in now after fishing early morning session on Upper Trent at Shardlow.Had 16lb mixed bag on the stick,nothing over 12oz mainly roach and dace. Packed in because i was too hot.Hate hot weather. Kelham is good but too many fish it.I have Derby Rail book which gives me access to the River Dove

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
John
Any chance you could give me directions to Red house,and any other good areas above Newark. I know most of the areas below Newark, fished on the rack at Winthorpe today no bites in 2 hrs
cheers

J

john ledger

Gareth
Think it might have been Red Bridge not Red house but its good anyway.Coming from the Rotherham Doncaster areas take the A1 and then come off onto old A1 road past A1 pits into Newark taking the left hand turn at roundabout before you go over Newark Dyke. There is a supermarket on your left hand side but turn right and then left passing British waterways wildlife offices down to marina and park above marina gates. take path to dyke and fish the two swims above marina harbour especially the one with the small sandbay. Its a nice glide brilliant for the stickfloat and at 5ft deep full of fish.
When i fished last year i paid three visits and fished mornings only due to boat traffic and averaged mid twenties. i was doing an article for the Angling Star and have not been back due to the amount of yobs in the area. Gareth if i had not been doing the article i might have only fished it once and bearing in mind each day was on a Sunday morning hence yobs and boat traffic.
I used hemp and casters and tares and caught mainly good quality roach plus a few good chub. Its a bit early for tares and its better to use them late july and august. If you use tares dont start with them and just keep introducing them in two and threes as you feed your hemp and caster. Tares are filling and you can knock your swim dead with two many. Once you have got the fish onto them then its ok to feed with hemp every trot but remember go easy with the tares another area is to fish down at Nether Lock weir and you will have to drive over Dyke turn left as though you are heading for Lincoln and turn left into the old works which leads down to an old scrapyard. Park up and go over the bridge that crosses the dyke turn right and head down to weir. good luck

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
John
thanks for that think i know the areas your talking about but have never fished them. What do you mean when you say yobs? did they cause you any bother?
Sorry if im being a pain but if you get chance could you direct me to some areas further up stream towards Nottingham. The only place ive fished above Newark is on Hardys stretch at the bottom end of East Stoke all though i dont bother with it alot as it is usually really busy.
This might seem daft but do you fish above or below the weir.
Cheers

J

john ledger

gareth
You are not being a pain as the website is meant to help people and i will always help.
Yobs
These where youngsters leaving litter one driving up and down on his motor bike and a few high on drink and this was at about 5am.
You can fish above weir and i have fished below but that was many years ago . not sure if you can fish it now but it looks wellThe other yobs where those rich twats ploughing through your swim with their boats

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
Cheers John
Think i might give the pegs above the marine a go some time, will probably do it midweek though, i have seen the weir from the bypass(think its the same one) it looks a good spot i will give that a go too