catching birds

shaun coxall

Reaction score
As i was casting the other day, a Mallard came into land right where my float dropped. A quick snatch under the surface, yes , i'd caught the bloody thing. Panic struck, i thought the only course of action was to snatch the rod back, so as to break the line. What else could i have done?The bird did not seem any more the worse for wear, apart from two foot of line sticking from it's beak. Please could i have some assurance that i am not the only one to have this experience, and that the mallard will survive?
I am quite sure that the hook was not swallowed , but was retained in the bill area. Will it work loose or de-generate over time.

T

The Monk

It does happen occassionally, I`ve had the odd coot and gull as well, some hook types rust and thus create not problem, the chemically etched dont but can work loose. It is a problem though, and if possible catch the bird and remove the hook

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Never try to break the line --if possible reel the bird in and remove the hook ......

One water I fished ,the seagulls would dive for your luncheon meat when you cast in and you would often end up playing a seagull in the air ....

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
Reel them in slowly but with no messing about then get them in a big net and once on the bank wrap the bird in a towel so it can't flap too much ..... then get the hook out with forceps. If you follow this procedure they go back slightly ruffled but none the worse for wear.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

or you could always carry a jar of orange sauce for next time it happens ..
(canard a l'orange is very tasty)

J

John McLaren

Had a Canada Goose on last year - talk about panic! I played it in thinking all the time how I was going to manage the vicious thing. Fortunately just as I reached for its neck the hook popped out - hooray for barbless!

W

Wolfman Woody

I've had a few swans one way or another. Not hooked buy where the line was either fact around there ID ring or in one case, looped around its neck.

They were none too pleased about it, but well behaved and prefereble to the wild coot I once caught and clawed my forearm to ribbons.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I haven't hooked any yet.
But the public can be silly when they feed the ducks in front of where you are fishing.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We could always pass it off as practiceing for the Fur and Feather match.

J

James Townsend

A duck got caught up in my line a couple of seasons ago; at first it made matters worse with all the flapping to get away, tangling itself in the process. The only way out was to reel it in. Much to my surprise it didn?t put up a fight at all. With my hand over its eyes I cut the tangled line from its wings and feet and it seemed none the worse for wear. Gave me a bit of a heart race though!

B

Bully

You should try playing a swan....best fight I have ever had !! Fortunately no lasting harm done, but it was quite scary...