Gin clear rivers

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I had a wander down a long stretch of the Wye yesterday and, lovely as the river looks, the prospects of catching fish, during the day at least, look very bleak (literally). It is running like tapwater and below summer level already and with the forecast of hot weather for this week I can't see it improving.

I also phoned a friend about the Warks Avon and his words were "forget it", apparently it also is gin clear and not fishing very well at all.

I havn't had a report yet about the Severn but I can imagine that is pretty much the same so it looks like the pools again for a week at least, what a disappointment, I was relishing a day on the river this week but unless I fish into dark it looks like the river is a no no.

What is the state of your local river is it much the same?

M

M?r?

Pretty much the same her Graham,I live right by the Dove and it is pretty clear although the level don't seem to bad at the moment..spose extraction will start soon.
Night time has to be the best bet.
But at the moment I would sooner walk down the banks with a camera, rather than a rod.

W

Welsh Goff

What part of the Wye was that Graham, was planning a trip up the Biblins sometime next week.

H

Herr General Swordsy

Trent was super low and clogged with algae, in need of a good push through

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Goff,
It was a stretch that I have access to above Foy which is about 3 mile above Ross. I don't like to put the dampener on the Biblings mate but I wouldn't fancy your chances, its hard enough at the best of times and with no colour in at all I think you may struggle.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Strangely enough, Lower Bristol Avon average summer level, green and not a lot of flow.

If we get the predicted heat wave the rivers are going to suffer big time.

Believe it or not, we had one of the dryest winters on record!

The Avon normally floods every winter, if I my memory is correct, it hasn't flooded for the last four or five years! Things are changing!

W

Welsh Goff

Thanks Graham, will leave it till later on then.
Forcast for us down here this week is no rain!!!!!

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

The Wensum's at a good level, nice flow and a bit of colour but the fishing is crap. I gave it a try thursday and friday and both times I struggled to get a decent fish. My best was a chub about 2.5 lbs the rest was small dace and roach and not too many of those either.

M

madpiker

all the rivers and drains in somerset are at late summer levels,weedy and clear.it begs the question as to why the EA decided to leave all the sluice gates wide open until late march(after a short period of high flows in dec\jan),hence draining the water table unnecessarily instead of keeping the ground water levels at a reasonable height.on several waters,i noticed that the banks were rock hard and cracking up towards the end of the season.so much for the name change to ENVIRONMENT AGENCY!
if it stays hot,as it`s forecast to this summer,then i won`t be coarse fishing til sept,i will go beach and boat fishing,at least i can breathe on the coasts(hayfever!)

njb51

Reaction score
Walked along the Mole yesterday and it was so clear! The flow was non existent too. It was almost still. It was also pretty low.
Hopefully the thunder we've just had will make it half decent again.

Bring on more storms!!

W

Wag

I had a look at the Ancholme from the bridge in the centre of Brigg on friday.

The river is full of weed (and shopping trolleys), the water is very clear and there is quite cover of duckweed on the surface.
On the good side I watched a 4lb eel cruise around in the weed, and what a magnificent specimen it was.

When I had a look from the bridge on saturday there was no sign of the eel, but plenty of roach (up to 8oz at a guess) and dace just under the surface.

Nobody fishing, which I thought was a shame - it was bl**dy hot though.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The Hampshire Avon both above and below Salisbury is pretty low and very clear. Typically there was a large weed cutting exercise going on from Tuesday until Thursday so the weed booms are out at the very top of the Britford stretch.

I spent the opening evening wandering about casting here and there between the rafts of weed for a few roach and a couple of small chub, but with low and clear conditions it does not bode well until we get a good flush through.

F

Fred Bonney

Tidal Trent at it's lowest since I moved up 3 seasons ago,never likely to be crystal clear!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

It looks like being similar to the season before last when levels were very low right through to November looking at my diary.

Certainly the Avon fished very hard with the fish being very localised.

Guy Baxendale 2

Reaction score
Thames - still holding a tinge of colour but very low indeed. Would of thought a bit more of this weather and it will be running clear very soon as well.

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
the River bourne is practically a stillwater at the moment. The avon isn't too bad but the major weed cut will lower levels. Still it needs doing. Weed growth is massive this year.

R

Robin Higgins

The Kentish Stour through Canterbury is Llllllooooooowwwwww. Plenty of chub and bream on display but boy are they spooky. Looks like it's going to be hard this summer.