Pole fishing from a boat

Joskin

Reaction score
I am planning my anual trip to Lough Derg in southern Ireland and am considering fishing in 25ft of water from a boat with a Pole. I guess I would be fishing around 7 meters to hand. My reason for this is that the ever increasing water clarity is causing the Bream to stay out in deeper water during daylight hours and the deeper water cant be reached from the bank with a feeder. I have heard good reports of anglers fishing deeper water with poles from boats but have never seen it done so I am unsure if it will be a little awkward or relativly srtaight forward.

Has anyone on here ever fished a pole from a boat or got any tips on how to do it?

P

Phil Heaton

If you can gain access with a boat then you do not need to complicate matters with a pole, use a sliding float rig. This will also ensure you are further away from the fish than if you used a pole with less chance of you spooking them.

Joskin

Reaction score
The local guys have done very well with poles of a boat.

Would a pole realy complicate matters Phil?

W

Wolfman Woody

Gee, and I was thinking of buying a shorter float rod of 10 foot for using in the boat.

Good luck to you.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Unshipping in a boat sounds a nightmare.An inch wrong one way and you throw half your pole into the deep, and inch the other and you thump the gunn'ls and scare the fish. But I suppose they were fishing "To Hand"?

Joskin

Reaction score
I've been giving it more thought and cant see why it should be too awkward unless I am missing some thing.

Shouldn't be any shipping problems as I should be fishing 7 meters to hand I would thing that I would need to have a further 2 sections made up next to me to add to the 7 meters to compensate for any elastic stretching from the pole when landing fish. Other wise once I am set up it should be relatively straight forward........

...........shouldn't it?????

When I first heard about the idea I too thought it would be a nightmare but now I am warming to the concept.

I always take my Scuba gear with me for a dive in Lough Derg so I guess if I should loose a section over board I can always retreive it after the session.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
My advice, for what its worth is, use a polaris set up and methinks you will find it much simpler and probably more effective. Great place Lough Derg, fished it lots of times but the fish don't really come on the feed till July.

Where abouts are you staying Killaloe or the Portumna end?

Joskin

Reaction score
we stay at killaloe and will be going next in late August.

Do you know TJ O'brian Graham. He runs a local guide service and tackle shop in Ballina. He has also recomended fishing a pole from a boat. He had over 50 2lb ish hybrids and roach to 2.5lb on the pole the other day. the fish are on the feed alright but mainly early morning or late evening and night sessions are required to catch. The fish are staying in the deep water due to the water clarity caused by the zebra muscles.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Don't know yer man Joskin but if he knows his stuff he should be able to put you onto fish, one thing for sure, always listen to advice over there, they know what they're talking about, well the good ones do at least.

Lough Derg is the biggest lough in Ireland and covers 118 sq kilometres, its massive, and when the wind blows you wouldn't want to be wafting 7 metres of pole and 7 metres of line about believe me. Your choice though Joskin and you can always change if necessary. By the way its also 100 feet deep in places so don't be falling in eh!

Joskin

Reaction score
Cheers Graham

We have been fishing Derg for years now so know only to well how rough it can get but we should be ok weather wise in August. wind was some thing I hadnt thought about though so thanks for that ( best pack a float rod too just incase )