A Quick Hi

Kev Truman

Reaction score
Just thought i would make my first post here. Going fishing for the first time since i was about 14 (im 23 now). I cant remember a single thing about the sport (but this site is helping).

Luckily i am going with a friend who is a little more ginned up than me ;)

We will be fishing here http://www.fisheries.co.uk/blakehall/

I have quite a big collection of rods that have been handed down to me. Mostly Shakespeare. Since i dont know what half of them are i will be taking 2. One is a newish one (shakespeare carp rod 2 1/2lb <<i know its not ideal, but should do me for float fishing?). The other is a cork handled ledger (Sundridge 10ft ledger) .Both are probably as old as me. I know next to nothing at the moment but will be sure to read as much as i can for the next time i go.

Just as a guide to what we will be fishing for. My mate told me to get size 14 hooks.

Sorry i dont know anymore, and obviously my knowledge is very lacking. But i will post with the highlights of my day.

F

Fred Bonney

'get size 14 hooks'
This would suggest to me float/light ledger fishing,but not with the carp rod.
You need a 11 or 12 or 13 foot rod for float fishing,less of a broom stick more of a knitting needle,if you'll pardon the comparisom.

Kev Truman

Reaction score
sadly out of the entire lot of rods i have, those are the only 2 that would probably withstand a days fishing :(

I will have to invest in a new rod or 2 for next time, but for now looks like the 10 foot ledger will have to do for me :(

Thanks for the welcome :D

Kev Truman

Reaction score
hopefully my mate still has a spare i could use for float fishing, as this is what i remember the most about.

M

M?r?

Hi Kev and welcome..

plenty of help in the beginners and improvers section, rigs pages,etc...also lots of experienced chappies on here to help out...take your time everyone is learning all the time...part of the fascination of angling.
good luck.

E

EC

Kev, dont be bewildered, just get yourself a basic float rod, reel, net a few bits and pieces of tackle, most imoportantly an EA license and enjoy yourself!

One last thing, check out the user reviews on this site before buying anything new!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hi Kev,

Don't be afraid to ask, there's always someone on here willing to offer advice!

Good luck mate, enjoy and chill out! You can't beat it ;-)

Kev Truman

Reaction score
i got the license today, one of the first things i thought about. Ive only ever been fishing two or three times. a few on a local canal, and once on the river dane (caught a chubb :D).

I just want to take it nice and slow. By the looks of it i will be using the ledger tomorrow along with a borrowed quivertip or failing that the good old fasioned fairy washing up liquid trick :D

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Ill be here tomorrow night with all my results and maybe pics :D

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hey mate we all started somewhere!

I did the fairy trick as well haha (not that I'm a fairy of course)

Good luck mate

Steve

M

M?r?

Oh Kev...just one word of warning...just watch out for Baz...he's a bit of an old git...but his heart is in the right place...bless him.

Its ok, he's probably out line dancing tonight!

Kev Truman

Reaction score
lol.. Well its a trick that was handed down to me by my grandad. Washing up liquid top on the line near the reel and watch for movement :D. You probably all know about it, but i thought it was quite ingenious. Since i also dont have a quivertip of my own (only a swingtip) it could come in quite handy for now.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Welcome to the asylum Kev and to our illustrious sport.

M

M?r?

nowt wrong with swingtips Kev.. you can always use the search function to find useful articles...from the FM archive...for instance try putting 'swingtip' into the search box in the top of this page and hit enter.

Kev Truman

Reaction score
n1 m8, my day may be saved afterall :D

Best head off to bed now, 5am wakeup call. well bed after i have sucked up some of this swingtip knowledge :D. Could make this trip more exciting than i imagined. wooohooo

Smokedodger

Reaction score
Hi Kev, by the time you read this you'll have had your day out. Hope it was a good one and welcome back, I know it's a bit late but for future reference just keep to simple methods until you get more confident.

Kev Truman

Reaction score
Hi guys, had a brilliant day. Borrowed my mates rods instead of using my old ones.

Heres a run through:

Start to the day: bright and sunny here in staffordshire. Sat on peg 34 on Hall Pool. Got started with a ledger setup. Caught about 5 or 6 perch, a couple of roach and a skimmer (not bad for my first hour i thought).

As the day progressed and it got hotter. My mate decided to get a carp setup on the go and landed a lovely 5-6lbs carp in about 5 mins. While i decided to do a little pole fishing and got a couple more perch and roach. My mate then landed another carp 4-5lbs.

He then asked if i would like to give it a try. A little anxious i decided to give it a quick whirl and landed a 1-2lbs barbel :D:D (i was over the moon).

The day went on and i decided to stay with the carp setup while my mate went onto pole. I didnt really catch anything more but had a great time watching my mate take upto 50 small fish (perch and roach).

We came away and i am seriously sunburned (oops) although i sheltered under an umbrella and wore my thin coat to shelter more. (must have caught me before)

All in all i really enjoyed it, and it was a nice introduction back into the sport. I think i will probably stay with the carp setup in the future as i enjoyed it a lot and mix a little float fishing in to liven it up a little.

We are going again next week :D cant wait.