New Setup

Kev Truman

Reaction score
Hi guys, i have already posted on here once tonight, but thought this would be a better place on the forum for this particular question.

I am going fishing tomorrow for the first time in 9-10 years (or more). I cant remember a single thing about the sport, and the technologies of it have advanced a lot.

I have realised that all the old rods and tackle i have are no use to me. (these ranging from very long ledgers to fly fishing rods - mostly older than me (im 23) which will just have to do for tomorrow).

I would just like to see some of your ideas on a decent starting setup. Most of my fishing will be done at http://www.fisheries.co.uk/blakehall/ or other local venues.

Any ideas? (sorry for my lack of knowledge, its been a long time)

Kev Truman

Reaction score
oh a little addition. My funds are limited as i am a student at the moment. :S

E

EC

Kev, you are in a similar position to my mate who took the sport back up recently.

My advice is use a float rod if you have one, set up a basic waggler system (no disrespect intended but if you don't know what I am on about ask). You would catch more on the pole, but waggler fishing is probably more comfortable when you are getting back into the sport!

Depending on the size of the fish in the lake, use a 3,4 or 5LB mainline and lighter hooklengths, to hooks from 18-12, this will get you a few bites which for your first time back is the point of the exercise!

Looking at the website you must use their own brand of pellets, so get some of these in the smallest size, and take some maggots corn and worms, you'll have a good day mate!

You could ring the fishery and get it from the horses mouth what tackle/baits to use, but dont think you need to go on a spending spree in order to catch!

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Kev please ask if you need more help. Half decent tackle can be purchased very reasonably these days.

Kev Truman

Reaction score
I have a ledger that i will be using tomorrow, and a good friend to help me setting up. I got the maggots earlier (keeping nice and fresh in the fridge), will also be taking luncheon meat. My mate who has fished there before is using the same so it should be ok.

If i see a nice float rod whilst there i may get it. Im not too bothered about getting a top of the range rod for now, just something i can sit back and relax with.

Thanks for the advice guys :D And as i said in my other post, i will be here tomoz night full of fun stories and pics (even if it is just a story about me falling in :D)

E

EC

Well done Kev, gald to see you enjoyed yourself mate, I wouldnt go shouting about catching a stillwater barbel though, you'll get strung up for saying that on here!

;-)

Kev Truman

Reaction score
for the first time i have caught a fish in a long time, i aint bothered what it was i caught. I caught a nice fish in my eyes :D

When i get more and more into the sport, i will know whats a good catch and not. But for the time being, i am happy with anything that looks as beautiful as some of the fish we landed yesterday :D.

Kev Truman

Reaction score
this tuesday coming is planned and sometime the week after is planned with me uncle and cousin.

Been through all my old floats (some older than me again) and found a load of onions? (never used em and aint sure what theyre for), as well as a lot of normal straight and bodied wagglers (some with inserts).

I also found some old brass coloured barbed hooks size 4 and 6 which i wont use but cant stand to part with.

Chucked a spinner as it was old and rusty (and bent), chucked a pair of scissors for the same reason, and chucked a degorger which was also rusty, along with something else that looked a little lethal for little fishies.

Now all remains is for me to get a nice little float rod and some new fresh floats.

I am really excited about going again, i just hope this sunburn has calmed down in a couple of days. Ill be taking some rlly heavy duty sunblock with me next week.

E

EC

Its ace when you are buying new stuff!

Without trying to tell you how to spend your money Kev, try and support your local tackle dealer if you can mate, but check out the online shops and ads in mags etc as well, as you can pick up a bargain, BUT check they have the goods in stock before ordering online mate!

Kev Truman

Reaction score
We have what looks to be quite a good local tackle dealer. The guy seems really nice and would probably help if i needed it. I think i will stick with him and ask for the odd tip maybe.