Getting Riggy

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
So the hot months are back with us with the blazing days seeing fish on the top and slightly cooler nights with hopeful feeding spells.

But what rigs to use?

What rigs are you on and why are you favouring them at the moment?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I think whatever you use fluoro lines have got to come into it somewhere, at least for daylight fishing. And more care taken to get the main line pinned to the bottom.

S

sash

If I can't get them going off the top on floaters I've been doing very well with zig rigs often in conjunction with a high-attract bait such as a flouro boilie or a big bunch of maggots. Finding the patrol routes between the shallows (used during the day) and the slightly deeper water (that is favoured at night) has been key for me. A couple of zigs presented on these patrol routes have picked up bonus fish when it seems nothing is going to feed.

Evenings and early mornings have been the most productive though, fishing tiny, out-of-the-way margin swims that aren't normally fished using just 1 or 2 rods usually slack lined or back-leaded, leadcore and heavy in-line lead. Baiting for a few days prior to fishing these margins has also helped, the carp get used to finding food there and feel safe eating it.

F

Frothey

still using braid (short) hooklinks with bags/method - other than that its flouro/clear amnesia hooklinks all the way.

really like the 360 rig - nice balance between bottom bait looks and pop-up efficiency over hard bottoms

as it get later in the year (ie darker earlier/later), and if you/we seem to be doing overnighters, does it matter about using "invisible" hooklengths, or can you sacrifice visibleness (is that a word?) for the performance of the rig.....the fish on two of the lakes seem to feed between 1am and 4am....but do they "remember" what they've seen earlier?

F

Frothey

i meant dark earlier in the evening, light later in the morning...doh.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
360 rig, is that the one with the swivel and the hook pushed through it that Chilly's been pushing?

F

Frothey

sounds like it....what hooks he using? it origionally "came out" using a longshank nailer......

F

Frothey

"lots" are using it with gardener mugga's - if worried about double hooking with ls nailers (never had the problem) or if they are banned.

you tried it?

Milo

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I tried my first critically-balanced pop-up rig, and had a successful few days catching tench. I didn't get a single carp unfortunately :( Up until then, I'd been fishing bottom baits but thought it was time to try something different, i.e. take the blinkers off :)

S

sash

Must admit, I've never had a problem with the l/s nailers either and I do use them a lot.

Short braid hooklengths mainly at the moment due to the bottom make-up (gravel/light silt mix with soft weed on top about 3" thick) with standard ring blow-back rigs and slightly extended shanks (shrink tube).

B

Big Rik

me and Stu only get thru about 4 miles of shrink tube a year......

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Dave I haven't got round to trying it at the moment but had a good play around with the nailers with swivel actually attached.

I've been concentrating on a new snowman rig which I'll be trying tonight which also incorporates the nailer. It just takes the weighting element to a different neater level. Will report back after a few sessions to relay the results. Until tonight, fingers crossed mate!

O

Ozz

Stu,
the 360 rig is the one GB spoke with you about when you came over to the frozen N-West m8.
I've pretty much settled myself to 3 rigs this year, but have the utmost confidence in all three..

O

Ozz

Too clever for his own good if ya ask me!
He's been on it for over two years now, but he put the loop knot into the swivel himself, the original one used a palomar knot on it.

O

Ozz

He used the loop knot at both ends m8, and his catch ratio increased through it. Then followed up by winning two Junior events with it just to make sure it worked!