Stiff Rigs........

E

EC

I went through a phase a while back of getting quite a few dropped runs each session, those being short sessions on mixed fisheries!

I started thinking about improving my 'self hooking' potential, the fish (whatever they were) were picking up my bait, but not getting hooked!

I read a few carp mags, I buy the odd one every few months and saw an article by 'Chilly' (we go back a long way) regarding stiff rigs, and thought that maybe (part) of the answer to my problems!

So stiff rig materials for the hooklength? Will sea fishing mono do, or do I shell out for 'proper stuff'?

Above the hooklength, will standard mono do, again or do I use something else?

Cheers in advance!

EC

F

Frothey

proper stuff? you mean sea/trout stuff re-badged then.....

L

Les Clark

Eddie I tend to favour I.Q. from Korda in 15 lb b.s. ,not broomstick stiff but just stiff enought and the best thing to do once you have made the hooklenghts is to stretch it ,take`s the spring out of it.

F

Frothey

it depends on how stiff you want it. the esp stiff stuff is great for short silt (chod as some call it) rigs, run it over your nail and you can get a really nice curve in it.
also as above for the hook bit of a hinged stiff rig. dont like it for the boom part as i think its too stiff. prefer amnesia for that, or riverge flouro if i'm trying to be a bit more subtle

amnesia or esp stuff for reverse combi's where you have a braid "boom"

B

Big Rik

same as.

Amnesia or Korda IQ for the boom and either IQ or Stiff Bristle for the hook part.

The idea of a stiff rig is for it to be stiff.

E

EC

Whats the diameter of this stuff compared with say 20LB mono or 50 LB shockleader?

L

Les Clark

Eddie Iv`e just had a look at a new pkt of 15 lb IQ ,no diameter stated but I would say a lot thinner than 20lb mono .

E

EC

Its just that I have loaaads of sea fishing line and wondered if it would double up, if it would be as efficient?

Looks like the answer is a definite 'no'!

B

Big Rik

I tried 20lb Drennan sea mono as the boom, but it doesn't behave as well as Amnesia.
Amnesia is used for sea fishing snoods and you can get it in 15, 20, 25 or 30lb.
It's memory free (once stretched) easy to tie, behaves well and is quite unobtrusive.
It's also quite stretchy and pretty cheap.

B

Big Rik

sorted then.

3 turn blood knot and blob the tag end with a lighter.
Neat, tight knot that wont slip.

B

Big Rik

Also, once tied up, either run it over steam or warm it up by rubbing it over your leg and then pull it tight and put it into cold water.

The heat makes it pliable, you stetch it and then set it with the cold, result is a very straight and stiff boom.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Goinf through my change here, I must be, as where two years ago you wouldn't see me using anything else than stiff d-rigs but now I'm back on brain hooklengths (not coated) and concentrating only on the hooking properties.

What rig are you using Eddie?