Be Aware

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Seen on the looney animal activists websites recently:
<HR>
ANGLER TURNS SABOTEUR AND THE GLOVES ARE OFF!

As part of Anti Angling Week, animal rights activists and hunt saboteurs gathered at the lake in St. George's Park, Bristol, on Saturday 11th of June, to highlight the suffering of fish and to send the anglers home.

The day started off with immediate results as one angler, after eight years of angling, decided that he would no longer inflict unneccessary pain on fish and packed up his equipment to join the protest! Other anglers soon left too, with their consciences kicking into action.

The activists then turned their attention to the last remaining group of anglers and were met with enormous hostility. The anglers hurled insults at the activists, calling them "nazis" and "hypocrites".

One angler then violently assaulted a female activist, punching her in the face and attempting to throw her into the lake. As the police arrived they arrested one activist who dared to intervene, pinning him to the ground and handcuffing him.

However, the perpetrator of the attack was left to roam the streets in search of his next victim, with a beer can in one hand and a stick in the other.
www.arkangelweb.org.

And

Received anonymously:
May 31, 2005
"A fishing/shooting store in Lucan, Co. Dublin was targeted by the Animal Liberation Front in the early hours of this morning. The shutters, which display a badly painted scene of fishing and shooting, have now been artistically altered with bright red paint displaying the initials "ALF". Many passers-by will have the pleasure today of witnessing the artistic ability of the animal rights movement, as we jammed the locks on the shutters with match sticks, bits of metal and superglue.

Profit from the suffering and death of animals, and we'll make you suffer. We have only just started. This is a warning to all fishing/shooting stores. You have been warned.
-ALF
www.keeponfighting.net

T

The Monk

It was the ALF would physically branded that reporter a few years ago

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

The only accurate part of the first report is the description of the protestors as Nazis and hypocrites. How true!

alan

Reaction score
if they admit to damaging property like that, are they now able to be prosecuted for it?

M

madpiker

well they`re having a veggie pride rally in paris on the 24th july,promoting veganism and protesting about the fact that the vast majority of people eat meat etc.i reckon that anyone in the area on that day should pelt them with meatballs and show pictures of all the animals that have been savaged by alf etc liberated mink.

M

madpiker

as for that angler who turned saboteur,i wonder how many mates he has now.

M

matthew nightingale

I wouldn't believe all that these people write; they live in a fantasy world which you and I wouldn't recognise. I had dealings with these people when they were the 'Greenham wimmin' (same people invariably) and they are on another planet. I remember them cutting the wire at RAF Molesworth and then planting corn! Very symbolic for them; completely 'hatstand' to the rest of us. This doesn't mean that they are stupid however and they always have cameras and tame journalists with them when they do this sort of thing so we always need to stay calm and let the police do the confronting.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Frightening what some people think of as acceptable behaviour. I think anyone who thinks it's appropriate to carry out vandalism and personal attacks in support of any cause has psycological issues. Why are people these days unable to just discuss things calmly, life's too short to be stressed.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
It is always possible he was provoked but I do find in situations where feelings run high on both sides people can become 'blind' to dubious actions by 'colleagues'. Not saying this is the case though.

I have no doubt the event would have remained without incident had there been no protest however we do live in a free country (so I'm told).

I was initially really refering to extreme protests by radical groups.

M

madpiker

hold em down and force raw meat down their throats i say!!!!!!!!!

A

Adrian Bartle

I hope the corn that woman(?) planted at RAF Molesworth wasn't plucked from a living plant! They feel pain you know!

Milo

Reaction score
Is being an activist meant to be a more friendly alternative to the truth, i.e. being a terrorist?

I wonder what their shoes are made from? Heheh, I hope their paint hasn't been tested on animals!

M

madpiker

milo,i once had a row with an anti fishing\hunting etc vegan in a pub.i noticed that she was wearing a leather jacket and shoes.i called her a hypocrite for wearing leather,her excuse,leather clothes are the bi product of the food industry and i`m wearing it in memory of the poor beast that had to die to feed people like you(me)!!!!!!!!!!!!her eyes looked as if she`d been slaughtering poppy plants and hemp plants and smoking them though!!

davestocker

Reaction score
I was listening to the Today programme on Radio 4 the other day, and they were covering an animal rights story, and the presenter said that animal rights activists were ?winning the war of words? over animal experimentation, after which they gave the oxygen of publicity to some nasty animal rights toe-rag, without balancing him with a counter voice (and I did complain via. The Today website) But it got me thinking, and my thought was this; the idea that animals should have rights is actually barking-mad nonsense. To treat animals as if they were the moral equivalent of humans would lead to the collapse of life as we know it. Animal rights people don?t draw a line in the hierarchy of the animal kingdom below which we can ?off? animals, for whatever reason , should we so wish. Consequently slugs and insects would have to be given rights, and logically, I suppose, so might bacteria. I kid you not, there?s even a Shellfish Rights group (http://www.shellfishnetwork.org.uk/) And the only truly meaningful ?right? a wild animal might be granted would be a right to habitat in which to feed and breed. But ?habitat? is everything that is owned by us humans, and no way are people ever going to have their property expropriated and given over to the animals.
If the whole idea of animal rights is as mad as I think it to be, why does the BBC give it credibility by treating it as a legitimate cause? Could it simply be that the actions of AR nutters have made it a newsworthy cause? Just suppose I came up with a nutty campaign that sought to make all women sex slaves available to all men on request (no messages of support, please), no responsible media would give me the repeated exposure that the animal rights people appear to get.

L

Laurie Harper

I think there's a good chance those posts from the antis are more puff and bravado than fact. Can anyone see any proper angler "packing up and joining them"? As for the others who allegedly left with "consciences kicking in...", I think they'd probably just decided to find somewhere more peaceful to fish, where they wouldn't be pestered by cranks. That's certainly what I'd have done. Funny, but I've never encountered antis on the bank. Maybe it's my habit of holding conversations with my imaginary friend that keeps them away...

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I know St George lake very well, it's about half a mile from my house. I must be spending too much time on FM because I've heard nothing about it! Not even on the local news.

Too be honest the lake is set in a city park and no dis-respect to the anglers, but it is a venue for beginners with broken branches for rod rests! Some good anglers go there, but not many.

It is the perfect place for the Anti's to target. Easy access and in my opinion weak (vulnerable) anglers (young kids and dads introducing their kids to angling).

I know it's wrong, but they deserve a smack in the mouth (male or female), we all know what tactics they use to disrupt our sport!

Steve