Line Angles

O

Ozz

I've recently been hearing more and more whispers about how the angle of the line from the rod tip thru to the bait can adversley effect catch ratio.
Anyone else heard about this or aware of it?

njb51

Reaction score
I imagine the steeper the angle, the more it would effect your catch rate as the line is up more in the water and so fish will be knocking into it and getting spooked.

Hence my thread on backleads.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I must confess to buying into that a couple of years ago and fished only with single banksticks pointing towards the bait. Now my entire confidence and focus is on my hooking arrangement and as long as my rigs do what I've designed them to then my quandary is already hooked by the time and angle of line is of importance if that makes sense.

I now use the croc pod via goalposts where I'm fishing 3 rods or if limited to two (as is the rule on my club water) I use two bank sticks, one at front one at bank with a two head buzz bar.

J

jason fisher

on heavy bolt rigs bollox,

on free running rigs most definitely

F

Frothey

backleads are only as good as the weedbed/bar closest to the end tackle is high.....

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
On the Korda DVD's they showed carp spooking of the line pinned to the floor when they were grazing the lake bed. It waways better to have the fish coming onto the bait first and not the rig etc.

O

Ozz

If I fish a water with depths between 26ft and 8ft over a 50 yard distance, and margins at a straight 8ft backleading isn't an option.

L

Les Clark

What about the beach rod setup ,rods set at 1 o clock ,less line in the water ?

O

Ozz

Hi Les,
That way means I could have upto 50yds of line out of the water on some pegs due to bank height.

Robbie H

Reaction score
Les,
Fished France and Portugal last year and that was the only way to catch! Any line hugging the bottom killed the swims.
I think it might depend on the fish and what they have experienced and are looking out for. Perhaps?