Thames at Lower Shiplake

Dave Day

Reaction score
Hi All
My brother in law owns a plot on a island at Shiplake, the side we have access to fish is about 400metres downstream of the weir, now I am no expert fisherman but not a complete amateur either (at least I think that)but apart from a couple of chub and a shed load of 2" perch on our last 6 visits, find it extremely hard fishing.
Hoping someone out there knows the stretch I mean and can give a few tips that might help to liven the swim up.
Thanks in advance

Dave

D

Deecy

Dave I can only suggest that you fish after dark as although I do not fish the bit of Thames you refer to I fish the Thames in that area and right down to Teddington.Every stretch has the same thing in common until late September when certain stretches fish well during the day for Roach and Chub.Boat traffic has little to do with it nor does water clarity.Whatever the reason night fishing in summer and then in clear water conditions in winter can in what appears a pretty poor river turning into a goldmine.Often a couple of hours after dark can be better than 12 or more hours of fishing in daylight.Keep at it it is a great river with loads of fish big and small.A bit of pre-baiting wouldn't go amiss either.

Guy Baxendale 2

Reaction score
Dave I can second that - I fish several stretches of the lower and middle Thames and find I rarely start to get bites before the light starts to go. Nighttime is where it is really at on the Thames and I have found that strangely the 2am to 2.30am period is excellent for bites. Perhaps a coincidence?
Perhaps the darkest bit of the night?

Whatever it is - many of my best fish off the Thames have come at this time.

D

Deecy

I have found that too Guy. Often dusk through to 11pm is good with 11 to 2ish being dead then like you say an hour or so burst in the wee hours.I tried to link it in with moon rise and all that but the only difference I found on supposedly poor moon periods was the greater possibilty of a very big Chub coming along whereas on good moon periods it could be a big fish of any species.Obviously in the winter water conditions played a part but those dead of night hours were stil a good bet for a bite of something substantial.More and more I find myself on the Thames , antwhere else doesn't match up anymore.