Vortex lures

R

Robin Badocha

Has anyone had any experience with these lures? A mate was telling me about them - apparently there is one that emits sound waves in the water and another has a flashing LED situated in it.

Thanks
Robin

R

Rob Brownfield

WARNING...it is ILLEGAL to use a lure that emits light in ANY uk water...including the sea!!

Just thought I had better state that.

As for sound waves, the Abu Droppen has a serated type pattern on the blade that does the same thing, and there is a version with humps on the blade to give a strong vibration/soundwave effect. Seem to wotk.

J

Jon Moores

Rob - Are you being serious about the lights being illegal ? Any idea why this would be so?

You can get little isotopes for building into flies which some sea trout anglers use. I've not used them myself, so I don't know how well they work, but I do remember R Walker writing about similar flies being used for big resevoir brownies.

As for flashing leds and sound on lures - a red lure with blue flashing light and a siren sound perhaps ?

C

Chris Bishop

There's an article on www.predator-fishing.co.uk which describes how to do this. Purely in the interests of informed debate, obviously.

The person concerned reckoned you could stick a starlite into a curved spoon for some interesting effects.

I've also occasionally had fish attack floats with lights on as I've been retrieving them.

Abu make several good vibrating lures - the corrugated Atom spoon is a good one, stock up now because they're going to stop importing them after Xmas.

R

Rob Brownfield

I cant remember what law it is in the slamon and freshwater act, but it states quite clearly the use of lights on a lure is prohibitied. This was first brought to my attention by a tackle dealer friend who acted as a professional witness in court cases against poachers. He knew the law inside out on legal and illegal methods and this is one that he brought up. Apparently, a poacher was using illuminous tape on a lure....and the court could not decide wither this was a light source or not.

The wee isotopes for flies are most certainly illegal in ALL uk waters.

C

Chris Bishop

What about these Yo Zuri wotchercall'ems then - the plugs with a built-in cavity for a light for bassing with..?

Can't see how they can enforce it Rob. Sounds as daft as the law you have to hold your rod at all times in Scotland.

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris, It does seem a bit daft, and i believe its a mis representative law. My mate says it was originally worded that a light source could not be used to catch fish. What this ment was u were not allowed to "lamp". ie, shine a bright light into a river at night to spear Salmon/Trout/Eels etc. However, over the years it was changed to using a light to lure fish...then light on a lure. I do know of at least one person who was done in an english court thou.

I know of many sea trout anglers that use the mini isotopes...so like u say....u would have to be unlucky to be done for it.

J

Jon Moores

Rob

How successful are flies with the little lights and on what type of flies?

R

Rob Brownfield

Jon, I have heard that sea trout in particular like something like a stoats tail with a green or blue light in it. The ones I have seen have all been dressed on sise 8 or smaller doubles, or the Partridge trebles in size 10 and smaller. I have not heard of salmon being taken on them yet.

Another version is dressed using an orange isotope on an Allys Shrimp, again small, and fished on a long leader, deep.

I think my local tackle shope still sells them...